"Save as" PDF plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Save as" PDF plugin

It would have been nice to know that the pdf has a security master password auto installed in the resulting pdf file, when you save it.
    I saved a legal doc only to find I couldn't open it in photoshop to alter it.
    Beware!

Yes. It really should be off by default. You can turn it off when you save the PDF — check out the security tab on the Save PDF dialogue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, I'll double check it again.
      Although I'm sure the disable option was grayed out when I went back to check it.

I just use Photoshop from start to finish now, reducing the colour to Index mode or Grayscale for smaller file size.

N

Comment

Hi Nuke_m,

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        Yes. It really should be off by default. ...
        I support this idea - because default settings must be logical!

But to create pdf files from all your windows applications I recommend the using of FreePDF!
        (Please consider: This software requires also Ghostscript!)

... FreePDF speaks 16 languages. FreePDF can produce many display formats - e.g. multi-PAGE tiff beside pdf files also.
        FreePDF can combine several prints into individual pdf (MultiDoc function). ...
        Using FreePDF it's very easy to create pdf files!
        All options are understandable and also the password options are easy to understand!

My opinion:
        If you have installed the current GPL Ghostscript version + IrfanView V4.25 + ImPDF V0.40 + FreePDF
        then it's possible in two different ways to create pdf files!

Comment

Re: PDF Security settings
          Possibly some mis-understanding here.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried many programs, but all have their failings.
          I don't have net access these days so sorry for delays.

The story was, that I sued Dell computers in the civil courts (and won).
          The PDF’s were legal documents download of the uk governments legal website, but I obviously wanted to stop its modification after being sent to Dell’s solicitor’s, and also save a valid copy.

However: when I wanted to alter the date on it, it prevented me from doing so, even with my password used.
          The PDF dll automatically adds a "Master Password" via the "Random Owner Password".
          This is NOT optional, its ticked and greyed out.
          I had to copy/re-write the data from the original PDF across into another copy.

Luckily I found Photoshop does the job perfectly and allows all security options, so I will use it from now on.
          Besides, by reducing the rgb/24bit to index/64 colours, the file size plummets but retains the image appearance.

N

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke_m View Post
            Thanks, I'll double check it again.
            Although I'm sure the disable option was grayed out when I went back to check it.

I just use Photoshop from start to finish now, reducing the colour to Index mode or Grayscale for smaller file size.
            Password protection in PDF output files

IrfanView can also reduce color for smaller file sizes, along with offering lossless compression for PDFs, if so desired.

Comment

There's also the free and 1-app only http://en.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Anyway, I too strongly suggest to turn off security by default. Security is an opt-in choice for 99% of the users (and even then probably not to 100% of their documents).
              Last edited by lwc; 30.11.2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lwc View Post
                There's also the free and 1-app only http://en.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Anyway, I too strongly suggest to turn off security by default. Security is an opt-in choice for 99% of the users (and even then probably not to 100% of their documents).
                PDF is an output format not a source of editing for most of our users. They prefer to protect there pdfs by default.

If you do not like it then switch security off. A future version may offer to ask for a owner password beside the option to generate a random one.

Comment

Working...
                X