Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem opening .mov file

Don't know if this is a bug, but when I try to open this .mov file:

I get the message "IrfanView has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Does somebody know what is going on with this?

It seems to be working fine here, so there is nothing wrong with the file.
    It also opens OK in QuickTime Viewer.

Make sure you have the latest versions of Irfan View and the latest version of the QuickTime plugin.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

QuickTime is bloatware. Don't install it. This file can be played using VideoLAN Client 0.8.5, a standalone player which does not interfere with system files.

Comment

Right on, 7jn !
        I stopped trying to play MOV files with IV a long time ago, As with the crappy Real formats.
        I found other apps which could play these formats, without being forced to connect to check for an auto-update all the time, or being forced to find howto disable things.
        Here's another player which can handle MOV, RA or RM : MPUI
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          It seems to be working fine here, so there is nothing wrong with the file.
          It also opens OK in QuickTime Viewer.

Make sure you have the latest versions of Irfan View and the latest version of the QuickTime plugin.
          Ok, thnx! Then it's probably my own fault. I have the latest versions of IrfanView and the plugins. But I didn't want to install Quicktime to play this file (because last time I installed it, I couldn't get rid of it without damaging my system), instead I wanted to play this file with Windows MP 11. For that I installed "QuickTime Alternative 1.81 Lite", a codec pack that should let you play QT stuff with WMP. It's strange though, I have 10 of these files and I can now play 6 of them with WMP but the other 4 won't play. And all of them won't play with IrfanView.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
            QuickTime is bloatware. Don't install it. This file can be played using VideoLAN Client 0.8.5, a standalone player which does not interfere with system files.
            Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Right on, 7jn !
            I stopped trying to play MOV files with IV a long time ago, As with the crappy Real formats.
            I found other apps which could play these formats, without being forced to connect to check for an auto-update all the time, or being forced to find howto disable things.
            Here's another player which can handle MOV, RA or RM : MPUI
            Thnx guys, but at the moment I am trying to play all my video's with WMP11 (if possible).

Comment

Ffdshow can decode the Sorenson 3 video in this MOV file. Ffdshow uses the same libavcodec as the other free software tools mentioned. But I found no solutions for audio playback in DirectShow yet. VideoLAN doesn't give any information about the audio.

Comment

2 Mardoek
                Unfortunately I only can speak theoretically here, because I don't have this particular MOV file. Rapidshare wanted me to install something first, and I always refuse to give in to such.

You rightfully mentioned another nasty aspect of QuickTime (Real is the same) : Very, very difficult to clean up the place, after uninstalling. Sometimes months later, I still could find traces 'deep down' in the registry..
                First I tried "QuickTime Alternative" too, with the 'Classic Media Player', but it still had too many files unreadable.

Maybe you can find the right one in the K-Lite codec pack. To be found here
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Rapidshare is accessible without any spyware installations. It could be some flash plugin or something it is requesting.

Be very careful when installing new DirectShow modules. Never install many of them at once (a codec pack). You can easily break a finely tuned video playback system.

The problem with this file is the MOV splitter. I tried to play it with the Windows built-in QuickTime Movie Parser. Sorenson 3 is playable. The audio is in fact 56 kBit/s 44100 Hz Mono MP3. But the splitter won't output it properly. The data comes out as MP3 but is tagged as uncompressed PCM. The third stream can be ignored. It's a logo in PNG format to be overlaid over the video window.

If your goal is not ripping the file to a normal format, and all you want is to play it, just get VideoLAN or MPLAYER (I checked, it works too). These are standalone programs that can be moved without installation and deleted later. MPlayer is a commandline tool. You'll need to pass the filename in a console window or add MPlayer a handler for .mov extension in the registry.
                  Last edited by j7n; 27.08.2007, 02:41 AM.

Comment

What's RapidUploader ?

Hmm, quite a complicated construction. And 56 kBit/s is very low.

You're right about the risk of installing many codecs at once. So I stopped searching for new ones a long time ago, because I still will be running W2K, and the machine is indeed finely tuned.

BTW : a tool to see which codecs are on the system : Sherlock
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I haven't seen RapidUploader. Can't you bypass it? I don't know if my Opera URL filter is kicking in, but I didn't see a link to this s***.

I have manually constructed this DirectShow graph:

FileSource(Async.) -> Haali Media Splitter (AR) -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> Video Renderer
                      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ -> MPEG Layer-3 Decoder _-> Default DirectSound Device

Be careful if you decide to install Haali. Select only the formats you want it to handle (Mp4/mov). I am not sure if the above graph would be constructed automatically in a media player if Quick Time Movie Parser is disabled. I don't want to experiment with my system.

The PNG 'stream' is ignored by Haali.

I have successfully transmuxed this file into Matroska format using Haali Matroska Muxer / mkvmerge (for proper index, seekability). This could be a better way to distribute this video tutorial, if you intend to do that.

(very slow, link to mkv corrected)
                      Last edited by j7n; 27.08.2007, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Report :
                        IV can't play these two. MPUI is playing the MOV correctly, and JetAudio can handle both MOV and MKV.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

2 Mardoek
                          Unfortunately I only can speak theoretically here, because I don't have this particular MOV file. Rapidshare wanted me to install something first, and I always refuse to give in to such.

You rightfully mentioned another nasty aspect of QuickTime (Real is the same) : Very, very difficult to clean up the place, after uninstalling. Sometimes months later, I still could find traces 'deep down' in the registry..
                          First I tried "QuickTime Alternative" too, with the 'Classic Media Player', but it still had too many files unreadable.

Maybe you can find the right one in the K-Lite codec pack. To be found here
                          Rapidshare is save, you should click on the "Free" button on the right bottom half of the first page. If it still doesn't work, I also uploaded the file here:

And don't want to install codec packs if I can avoid it, I am trying to install only just the right codec's to play my video's.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                            Rapidshare is accessible without any spyware installations. It could be some flash plugin or something it is requesting.

Be very careful when installing new DirectShow modules. Never install many of them at once (a codec pack). You can easily break a finely tuned video playback system.

The problem with this file is the MOV splitter. I tried to play it with the Windows built-in QuickTime Movie Parser. Sorenson 3 is playable. The audio is in fact 56 kBit/s 44100 Hz Mono MP3. But the splitter won't output it properly. The data comes out as MP3 but is tagged as uncompressed PCM. The third stream can be ignored. It's a logo in PNG format to be overlaid over the video window.

If your goal is not ripping the file to a normal format, and all you want is to play it, just get VideoLAN or MPLAYER (I checked, it works too). These are standalone programs that can be moved without installation and deleted later. MPlayer is a commandline tool. You'll need to pass the filename in a console window or add MPlayer a handler for .mov extension in the registry.
                            Thnx for the extensive info! The problem is that I'm a bit new to this video/audio stuff, so I don't understand everything your saying. I have noticed that the audio isn't playing right, when I try to play the file in WMP 11 I only get audio, but it has clicking sounds in it and it "skips" parts.

What is the Windows built-in QuickTime Movie Parser and where can I find it?

And my goal isn't ripping the file to a normal format, all I want to do is play it, because it's a instruction video for Corel Painter Essentials and I'm trying to work with that program. I have found another solution for watching the video though, I've uploaded the files on a video hosting site and that worked, now I can view the video's. It still would be nice though to be able to play the video's in WMP.

Comment

What's RapidUploader ?

Hmm, quite a complicated construction. And 56 kBit/s is very low.

You're right about the risk of installing many codecs at once. So I stopped searching for new ones a long time ago, because I still will be running W2K, and the machine is indeed finely tuned.

BTW : a tool to see which codecs are on the system : Sherlock
                              Thnx, I already have that program, I also have "Gspot", but that program doesn't give much info in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X