This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented A "Save for Web" function!

I don´t know if this has been asked for before, but a Photoshop-like "Save for Web" function would be very useful so that filesize/quality can be set & previewed before save.

I don't have Photoshop, so could you explain more about the specific conditions you like to add here ?
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Well, before you save an image you are presented with a preview window. You can then drag a slider & see in realtime the image quality vs. filesize & pick a setting that looks good & still have a small filesize.

A link to a "Save for web" tutorial:
      Last edited by 4eyes; 27.08.2007, 11:59 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Keep in mind that IV was the first Windows graphic viewer worldwide with Muliple-GIF support. Also install the (right version) IV-plugins. The Save to GIF option in IV is not based on layered graphics like in Photoshop. The transparant color has to be pointed out during the saving procedure, so it's not likely to use 8 bits graphics for this cause. IV is able to reduce your pictures by size and colors and that's the important thing.

Comment

Well, I don´t use gif images a lot (never:-) so my request is more of a "simple" jpeg realtime preview window with a compression/quality slider & a save button.

Here is a "maybe" better tutorial (jpeg section) then the one I posted earlier:
          In this tutorial we show you Photoshop's excellent "Save for Web" tool for producing optimised web graphics.

I don´t know how complicated this is to make.

Anyway, Ifranview is my favorite viewer/editor besides Photoshop. I use it a lot since PS takes forever to start:-(

Keep up the good work.
          Last edited by 4eyes; 27.08.2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Ah, now I understand what you mean. In PSP some similar dialog is there. The JPEG optimizer.
            If saving as a JPEG one can choose for the Options, and see the original and a preview of the result after a certain compression rate, together with the associated filesize. Very useful before uploading a bitmap on the web.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I also would like the ability to know the output filesize before I create the file...If I need to make sure a file is a particular size, I presently can't really use IV to create it, but have to use another product.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                Ah, now I understand what you mean. In PSP some similar dialog is there. The JPEG optimizer.
                If saving as a JPEG one can choose for the Options, and see the original and a preview of the result after a certain compression rate, together with the associated filesize. Very useful before uploading a bitmap on the web.
                Exactly!
                This is the only feature I miss in IV since I makes a lot of web graphics from digital photos.
                A save preview & filesize indicator.

Comment

Why not try out for the best result? Once you've done this, you know how to save your webpictures for allways. Let's say I have a JPG of 3 Mb that is to be reduced to a webgrapic of say 500×375. This results in a 500 Kb file. For the best result I save it as progressive JPG at scale 80/100 (all the extra's like EXIF etc. are unchecked) and the result is about 40 Kb. This is (for me) the best compromis between a reasonable quality and a reasonable size. No need for any preview anymore...

When I do the same in Photoshop, I have to compress the 500 Kb bitmap to scale 50/100 to get the same size, but the quality is less! So that's why I use IV to produce web-jpg's. Thanks Irfan!

Comment

Most of the times I have the same practice as you. But there can be certain circumstances where monitoring the size, preview and final filesize can be relevant. For examples the restrictions about using an avatar.

This is about information of the actual situation.
                    So apart from showing graphic previews, this is a matter of showing the right values.
                    Such things are exposed in the status-bar. But I noticed, after a check, that the status-bar still gives the same filesize,
                    after, as a try, I resized the bitmap to the double. A weak point, I think.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I find it quite impossible to find an optimal jpeg compression level that can be used on all images.

For example, a photo with a lot of detail can be compressed harder without losing too much quality.
                      A photo with a lot of sky will have "banding" or other artifacts with the same setting.

On the other hand, with a little testing it would probably be possible to find a few settings that can be used with different type of images, but since I´m a lazy person (like most people;-), I dont want to spend a lot of time for this kind of research when I can use Photoshops "Save For Web" plugin.

So a jpeg-optimizer plugin with realtime preview is no.1 on my Irfanview wishlist.
                      Last edited by 4eyes; 29.08.2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Lazy person ? Most people maybe, but just count me out. You're undermining your own request with this argument.
                        I'm not here to give advice about some one-click 'universal' solution for everything.
                        If you want quality with small filesizes, you'll have to tune it case by case. As you said, bitmaps can be quite different in content. If you want to skip the effort, then accept artifacts as the price for it..
                        A tip : try a Sharpen of the original before resizing or compression.
                        Even with a jpeg-optimizer plugin with realtime preview you will need a judgement and tuning case by case.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                          Lazy person ? Most people maybe, but just count me out. You're undermining your own request with this argument.
                          I'm not here to give advice about some one-click 'universal' solution for everything.
                          I don't consider myself lazy, but just wanting a efficient method to perform a function within IV...after all, computers are supposed to make things easier, not harder...so having to wait for Photoshop (even the Limited Edition that I use) to load when IV can load in much less time doesn't seem efficient to me...neither is the process that I have to presently do using IV to get the desired filesize and quality...

Originally posted by SamZen View Post
                          If you want quality with small filesizes, you'll have to tune it case by case. As you said, bitmaps can be quite different in content. If you want to skip the effort, then accept artifacts as the price for it..
                          A tip : try a Sharpen of the original before resizing or compression.
                          Even with a jpeg-optimizer plugin with realtime preview you will need a judgement and tuning case by case.
                          That's exactly what I'm after...a way to easily tune it within IV, without having to save the file, then switch to my file manager to check the size, and then load the two images into two windows and try and toggle between them to see the differences, which I consider quite inefficient, so that's why I most often resort to the overhead of using Photoshop to do this function.
                          Last edited by j_c_hallgren; 30.08.2007, 05:53 AM.

Comment

I agree that this is a high priority. No use just showing the expected file size, it needs a preview that updates (not in realtime though as that would be slow on large images.

PhotoPlus 11 has an export optimiser. I would like something similar, but a single preview pane is sufficient, and the size and options should be on the same dialogue, not on tabs. An update button would be better than realtime preview, or an option to turn on realtime preview that greyed out the update button would be ideal.
                            Attached Files
                            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

And here the same screenshot ‘optimized’ by Photoshop from 57.99 Kb to 23.46 Kb.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X