Scan dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Scan dimensions

When scanning, I would like to be able to enter some dimensions in that I can tell IV to scan. Many times I already know I want to scan a particular size. Or I may want to repeat an earlier scan size.

Which brings up another feature request:
    When scanning, I often use the [Preview] button to set my initial scan size. What I would like to see is some info reported as to what those dimensions are.

Along with knowing the scan dimensions, I'd also like to know what the end result of the number of pixels will be. Such as if IV reports that the scan will be 5 inches by 4 inches, and the current scan setting is 150dpi, the result will be 750x600 pixels.

I know that I easily calculate that myself, but if IV reports it automatically, then I would not have to. Plus, it sort of verifies what my current dpi scan setting is (which would be nice to also know on the same window).
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Please see what I wrote at the thread "Scan using ... not closing after a scan". I have everything you asked for in the window "ScanGear CS" namely the size of the region which will be scanned in different formats (pixels, cms, inches), I can set standard formats like letter or A4 or I can manually adjust it, I can maintain the proportions of the region I want to scan when dragging to increase it or decrease it, etc. I can even rotate it namely after scan it is automatically rotate it. The conclusion is that what you are asking for are not features of IV but of the scanning software. Please check the attached files to see all features of "a normal" scanning software...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vizitator; 04.06.2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Vizitator is right. This is done with the software added to the scanner.
      IV just communicates with the scanner via Twain.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I do not have any special scanner software loaded, other than what came with my HP PSC950. What I see, when using the IV Acquire/Batch scanning command is what IV gives me. It is not using any features that I can attribute to the HP software.

While, now knowing that if I loaded some other scanner software may give me the features I want, that is not the feature in IV that I am asking for.

I have attached the two snaps of what I typically see, after selecting the File>Acquire command:
        1. I can select either Single or Multiple images. It doesn't change my frustration where I need to re-select the Acquire command again, after any scan. Selecting the Multiple images does, however, name the scanned results as I dictate. However I would never know, since no notification appears after the scan, and no results window or folder opens to let me know what the scan result was named. To learn that, I have to open the targeted folder myself.
        2. The 2nd snap is the result of clicking the [Preview] button. This point is where I would like to see my one suggestion where the crop area is determined and shown in pixels or inches (or mm) or both (I marked it in Red). Knowing those dimensions would be handy to later re-enter to duplicate scan sizes later. Even better, if the settings are known, if there was some way to save them for future recall and use.

After that second screen, where I would press the [Scan] button, the scan does come into an IV window, but now the "Scan using..." window closes and does not return. I have no way of doing additional scans except by going through the commands File>Acquire, Single/Multiple selection route again.
        Attached Files

Comment

The first snap indeed is a dialog of IV, the second one is native to the scanner driver.
          I understand the hassle of having to choose for 'acquire' again for a next single bitmap, so maybe ending a scan should return
          to the snap2 phase, but I don't see a possibility for IV to pass on X-Y coordinates to the scanner.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Maybe you can try also Scangear which is free, but is for Canon scanners. Just give it a shot, namely try it, who knows, maybe it works for your HP also (by luck). If not, try then VueScan. I don't remember if it has the features you wanted, I have tried it more than one year ago and I didn't like it more than my original Scangear software. Consequently, I have uninstalled it. But since then, many new version and probably improvements came out. Just please dont forget to tell me if it worked as you wanted. Maybe it worth also for me to see if the last version is better than Scangear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
              ...but I don't see a possibility for IV to pass on X-Y coordinates to the scanner.
              Granted, there may be no way that coordinates get passed BACK to the scanner, I really do not know what level of control can be handled through the TWAIN interface. But that does not prevent the ability of, at least, reporting what the current scan coordinates are, as adjusted on that one preview scan window. And also reporting the number of pixels.

I will look for the suggested scan packages, to see if I can pick up some or all of the features. Thanks guys, for the leads.

Comment

Working...
              X