FastStone viewer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FastStone viewer question

I'm new here and hope this question isn't out of place but I have not found a forum for FastStone and I see that others have posted about it here as well. If there's a better place to ask FastStone questions, please let me know.

I'm also new to FastStone and I think I've got it worked out mostly but I resized a pic the other day and it seems to have saved the change instead of creating a new, resized version. In other words, I've lost my original.

This was a few days and several reboots ago so the undo option doesn't seem to be there anymore. Is there any way to recover my original in all it's glorious large number of megapixels?

Is there a setting that I can't seem to find that would allow me to save changes as a new file automatically like I used to do in ACDsee? (My HD crashed and I'd no longer had the original, ancient copy of ACDsee.)

Thanks,
    John

FastStone Viewer is quite polite. If you make any changes to an image while viewing it you will be asked if you wish to save the changes before browsing to another image. If you click "Yes" to save the changes, then that is that.

There is a Save As… option, which should be used if you do want to keep the original unaltered.

It would be tiresome if programs always made backups of images when saving changes. Making reliable backups is the user's duty, and backups are best saved on an external drive if the files are important.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think I remember from my old ACDsee that there was an option in the settings to "always save changes as new image" or something to that effect and I was probably working without thinking which I specialize in sometimes.

Fortunately I've realized I *do* have that pic saved in original form (just renamed so I didnt' see it at first) and so nothing was lost. I must be smarter than I think!

I so far like FastStone though I have to get used to it still.

Thanks for your help,
      John

Comment

I assume you have read the Faststone Image Viewer Tutorial ?

I never found a Faststone forum either. I once sent them an e-mail too with what I thought was a good suggestion and received no reply.
        I guess you either take what you get or leave it.

Comment

If you notice, there is no dangerous Save command in FastStone, only a safer Save As. Additionally, in Settings (F12), the option Confirm on overwriting changes is available.

I haven't used every version of ACDSee, but I don't recall the option you mention, so maybe it was a more recent one. There was a very good similar option though, regarding Copying/Moving that would determine how to deal with duplicate files and potentially rename them. It would be nice to see such an option in IrfanView and FastStone.

Comment

At http://www.oldversion.com/ you could download an older version of ACDsee.

Comment

Working...
            X