slow viewing/scrolling with more always on top windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow viewing/scrolling with more always on top windows

I noticed that if I open a big image that needs to be scrolled, and if 3-4 or more windows are before the IrfanView's window, then the scroll become very slow.
    I noticed first with podXP, and thought only transparent windows cause this, but no.

I'm having the same problem, regardless of how many windows I have open. Scrolling is slow. I've double-checked my mouse settings and I still have no luck. When I'm in any folder, Outlook, or on the Internet in any of my browsers, I can scroll with my wheel with no problem. When I'm in Irfanview with a larger picture and need to scroll down, the bar is in super slo-mo and then I use Page Up/Down. Can anyone help with this?

Comment

Nothing you can do to change the speed AFAIK. You can use the scroll bars or right click and drag with the pan hand.

Shortcut, F, will fit the image to the window. Then marquee drag around the area of interest, and click inside it to zoom in.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.09.2007, 05:56 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IV is indeed quite slow in scrolling, but take also into account the time of loading and showing the picture.
        Some apps are maybe faster in scrolling, but only after ..
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

This was never an issue before. Scrolling quickly through pictures with the mouse wheel, regardless of size, was never a problem until recently.

Comment

Yes this is the most annoying problem I have experienced with Irfanview. The scrolling is painfully slow with large images. But then I noticed that after about 15-20 seconds the scrolling becomes much faster and more acceptable. But ONLY if the Irfanview window is maximized. If it is not maximized and you can see some of the desktop, it will become laggier, but not as laggy as when you first opened it. Bizarre and frustrating no?? This problem is almost as annoying as another problem that wasn't fixed until 4.0. It was some bug with mouse wheel scrolling. I could not use the mouse wheel to scroll images backwards quickly. I had to scroll very slowly or else it would just get stuck on changing between the current and the one before. That bug lasted about 3-4 versions and wasn't fixed until 4.0!

But this problem irritated me so much I gave up and had to look for another program. I found FastStone Image Viewer and the scrolling is instantaneous and pain-free. Also, the thumbnail browser loads images way quicker than Irfanview's. The program is very good and it's free, but it's got its own annoying problems too. Like I can't drag an image file into the window. It won't let me. Unbelievably stupid. So I haven't found a perfect image program yet. But until Irfanview makes some improvements I'm sticking to Faststone.

Comment

Thanks "dude." I maximized the Irfanview windows and everything is fine. Scrolling is fast and easy again.

I have also used FastStone and it is, indeed, a very good program. It has a great interface and some really nice tools/effects. I think the red-eye reduction tool is the best around. But, Irfanview also has some really great tools and advantages. I like the fact that Irfanview will open more file types and I enjoy the ease of cropping pictures, especially now that you have solved the scrolling problem. Both programs are small and do not require a whole lot of your PC's resources. It really is six of one and half dozen of the other. They are both great programs.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
              X