Hopelessly over my head here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopelessly over my head here....

Hello Irfinatics. After lurking thru much of this forum I have realized that the vast majority of you are much more comfortable working at a depth of program control that I am not. While no simpleton, I prefer not to become sucked into the vortex of infinite variability that writing code requires. I much prefer to let you experts create and test and perfect wonderful programs and add-ons that benefit the more mundane and practical users such as myself.

Having said that. I have a problem. I'm running Irfinview 4.25 on Win XP. I used to be able to take pictures with my Canon Powershot A1000IS at 10.0 meg, download them thru Zoombrowser, the Canon proprietary software, open Irfinview as an external editor, and (the problem begins here...) using the "save" or "save as.." function I could bring up this;

Now usually, when I would click "save" at this point the program reveals a pop up window that tells me that the file is too big to be compressed normally and that it will need to be run through some auxillary program that will perform the function appropriately. I click yes at this point and a small pop up window asks what dimensions I want with some common presets available as radio buttons and a drop down that offers several different compression programs???? I remember one as being CatmullRom, it said it was slow but very high quality so I typically used it.
    The message I get now is this;

By running my project pictures thru this process I was able to size them properly for posting on the different forums I frequent. I have no idea why this compression and resizing operation has suddenly become unavailable to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can attach files to this forum, but crop them first to keep them small.

You were using the RIOT plugin and trying to compress 10 Mbyte files down to 65 Kbytes so they needed to be resized before that would be possible.

I forget what the JPG save error is caused by. Have you changed anything? Maybe updated the program, but not the plugins?
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The Save error message that you show is the one you get when you ask the Riot plugin to compress more than is possible. The smallest file size you can achieve from a 10MP image is probably around 300KB. That will probably look awful though. I would never ask to compress a 10MP picture below around 1MB file size. Some would not even go that far.

What you are trying to do though is to compress a very big image down to a small file size. The 10MP image at full size will be 2 to 3 times the width and height of a typical screen. There is usually no point in posting an image that is bigger than a typical screen size and often a considerably smaller size will be sufficient to show what you want to on the forum.

So when you open the image in IrfanView press Ctrl+H to display at full size. Then use Resize/resample to reduce the size of the image to how you want it to appear on the forum. Then try to compress to the file size you need and see what that looks like after saving.

Comment

Working...
      X