Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable Ghostscript to go with Portable Irfan View?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Ghostscript to go with Portable Irfan View?

Instead of using John Haller's wrapper, I took the Irfanview web site at face value (Irfanview is portable as it stands, or words to that effect) and just dumped the necessary files onto a stick for carrying to all sorts of computers. Mostly, it works. But I now have a need to open PDFs with Irfanview to convert then to raster graphics (mostly multi-page TIF but not exclusively).

Of course, as Ghostscript is not "installed" on the PC, Irfanview cannot find it on the stick, even if in the Irfanview folder structure. I have searched all over these forums (well, a lot of it) and can find no reference to making entries in the i_view32.ini file or anywhere else. Is that a possibility? Or must I use some alternative solution where it is not possible to "install" Ghostview.

[For information, the stick is required to perform on Win98 PCs upwards, so Win2K+ solutions are no use. That is one of the delights of Irfanview - it still works on Win98.]
    Last edited by AnotherFred; 19.09.2009, 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Hi AnotherFred,

With IrfanView I believe it is not possible.
    But you can use PDF-XChange Viewer. There is a portable version.
    http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=116
    http://www.pdfxviewer.com/downloads/users/

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
      But you can use PDF-XChange Viewer. There is a portable version.
      It doesn't run on Windows 98, unfortunately.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

GhostcriptPortable is here, but I have no idea if it works or not:

Some apps from PortableApps.Com have been orphaned. Come here to visit or adopt a project. They'd love for you to spend some time with them . . ..

Comment

Amended Question

Many thanks for your thoughts folks, but no answer to my difficulty yet.

Thinking about it at length, perhaps I should really have asked for a way of putting the location of Ghostscript in the i_view32.ini file. There is a Ghostscript section that is crying our to have an additional line in it, that i_view32.exe will read on start up.

Then perhaps I should put that request in the Feature Request section of the forum; so I will.

Comment

Hello,

is there a new solution since 2009 here?

I noticed IrfanView has this option:

Ghostscript Plugin Option
            Custom path (for experts, write full DLL/path name):
            C:\Program Files\GS\Bin\gsdll32.dll

Ah nevermind, I got it to work.

1) download ghostscript as .exe from here
            2) extract it with Universal Extractor to a new folder
            3) take gsdll32.dll from this folder and put in in IrfanView Plugins folder
            4) go to IrfanView Ghostscript Plugin Option and set your path (e.g. T:\Irfan View\Plugins\gsdll32.dll)

Thanks for this new option
            Last edited by nixdagibts; 05.09.2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Not had as much luck

Thanks for pointing out the change. I had been using Iview 4.25, where this option is not present. I find it in 4.27. Must keep up to date!

Couple of BUTs however:
              1. The path refuses to acknowledge relative paths. It must be a full path right from drive letter. So it is still not suitable for portable use.
              2. When I give the full path to the spot where I already have GS 8.70 installed, I get a message "I_VIEW32 caused an invalid page fault in module GSDLL32.DLL at 0177:02ab3e2a" . That turns up reliably when I try to open a file. The file open dialogue has preview selected. OS is Win98SE.

Anyone know the way round this?

Comment

I have success with relative path, I type these in the plug-in options:

.\Ghost view dll\gsdll32.dll

Comment

Working...
                X