Batch rename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch rename

I think this is possible but don't really know how to easily do it.

Let's say I have 50 different subfolders in the same folder.
    For example:
    1_Sep_2007
    2_Sep_2007
    3_Sep_2007
    4_Sep_2007
    5_Sep_2007

In each folder I have a number of files.

Let´s say I want these files to be renamed in the following order:
    ac01.jpg
    ac02.jpg
    ac03.jpg
    ac04.jpg

So in each folder I have files with the same names as in other folders.

How do I easily do this?
    I think there must be an easy way with the command line options, but I can´t think of any.

Anyone?

If all you are trying to do is rename a bunch of files, you might be better off to use an app that is dedicated to that task, like FileRenamerBasic. Use FileRenamer first to do whatever file name manipulation you have in mind, then go back to IrfanView to proceed with the rest of your image processing (if any). FileRenamer is pretty comprehensive even in the free version. The upgraded ($$) version lets you build big sets of files across multiple directories. There are many different File Rename programs out there, some freeware, most shareware in the $29 to $100 price range. If you don't already have one that you like, I suggest you spend some time trying out various titles and find at least oine that has a good feature set at a price you can afford. A good File Rename app should be part of your primary computer tool kit.

Comment

lgcharlot is right. The command line options don't include a counter, so better look for a dedicated tool.
      Or use Total Commander of course, it has a multi-rename tool in it.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The best price is FREE

lupasrename
        14Aren
        BRU
        Siren
        PFrank
        ...and others that a search will quickly turn up. Happy hunting.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I already have 14Aren and used it before. I find that Irfanview is easier and faster to use. Also 14Aren won't rename files spread over different folders.

I was about to search for more programs.
          But I found a convenient way to do what I want it in Irfanview.

The main problem with my rename situation was that I wanted to have different files in different folders with the same names.
          For example
          ac01.jpg
          ac02.jpg
          ac03.jpg
          in each folder
          1_Sep_2007
          2_Sep_2007
          3_Sep_2007
          4_Sep_2007
          5_Sep_2007

So what I do is. Open Irfanview, open the Batch conversion window. In windows explorer I select all directories that contain pics that need to be renamed. I drag this selection into the Input files field of the Batch conversion window. I set ac01.jpg in the Name pattern field. Press Start.
          Now I do have to do this 3 times (ac01.jpg, ac02.jpg, ac03.jpg) but this is not a big hassle as I never have more than 5 pics per folder.
          The good thing about irfanview is that it leaves the pics that were already batch renamed before alone and only renames the next one.

Comment

Working...
          X