Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested bypass embedded tif in nef preview

Hi, I'd like to have this feature:

when I open the irfanview browser it browse all the images just fine, but with NEF files it creates some problem: it actually opens the tif thumbnail embedded with preview, which is very very small, so the preview cannot be any accurate in the irfanview browser.
    The main program doesn't have the same problem: it shows the right nef file (using the nef plugin).

Thanks, please keep up the good job!

F.

I was not familiar with the term 'NEF' so I looked it up and found this: "Nikon Digital SLR Camera Raw Image File." Is that it?
    I don't see a NEF plugin, where are you getting it?

Since there are no real standards for Raw images, perhaps you are expecting too much from a non-Nikon non-proprietary tool.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Thanks ChuckE!
      Yep, that's a nikon format.
      The point is: IrfanView (the main software, I mean) can read these files properly, 100% happy with that... but the irfanview browser seems to get stuck with the low resolution tiff preview embedded with the nef file.
      Since the main irfanview window can read the nef files, there shouldn't be a limitation for it to read the file in the irfanview browser as well. It might be a problem of performances maybe (it takes a longer time to build a thumbnail from the high resolution image), but I should at least have the option to do that if I need... I post a thumbnails to show what I mean...

Thanks for your quick reply... hope now is more clear what I meant!

Comment

Ah, so it isn't a NEF plug-in. IrfanView is just seeing the file there, and the only thing it is seeing is the thumbnail inside. If you open, or attempt to open, the NEF file you are probably getting a message that the file has an incorrect extension, and it asks if you want the file renamed. (Please let me know if I am guessing wrong.)

IrfanView has the ability to read some RAW images, but RAW does not have a standard as to what image size, color bit order, or the number of color bits used. With limitations IrfanView can open some RAW images, but there are some settings you may have to 'tell' IV about the file to be opened.

I don't have an info here about what the Nikon Raw format is. Perhaps you can find it (or experiment with it) and report back here as to what happened or worked.

Good luck!
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

no... sorry I have been not clear possibly...

Irfanview Can read the file properly, which means IrfanView is able to read that type of files (hence, it will Not return any error).

"Irfanview Thumbnails" (as per above image) which is still part of the standard irfanview install, can only see the embedded tiff file.

Since I guess they both use the same engine to render the images, it was a choice of the programmer to make the "Irfanview Thumbnails" able to only read the embedded thumbnails. This make sense on first sight, but unfortunately it doesn't work properly if one chooses to have big preview sizes (since the thumbnail is very small).

The images above show exactly what the problem is, and apply this new feature should be a metter of minutes for the developers

Thanks,
          Fabrizio

Comment

...possibly the problem is that the nef plugin works with irfanview but not in "irfanview browser"/"irfanview thumbnail"?

Comment

Working...
            X