AVI thumbnails in one instance but not another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVI thumbnails in one instance but not another

I have Irfan 4.00 on two Windows XP laptops. When I view thumbnails of a directory that includes AVI files, on one laptop the AVI thumbnails will be generated but on the other I get an icon for the AVI files.

I checked all the settings in both installations and they appear to be identical. And especially, both have the AVI registered as a plug-in file extension.

I also copied the same files to both computers as I checked the problem.

(Also, as a side-issue, both have WMV registered as a plugin file extension but neither Irfanview will generate thumbnails for that file.)

Since I get AVI thumbnails in one place and not the other, surely I'm overlooking something. Here are other options that I've set which may pertain:

Misc 1:
    * View all files in directory = enabled

Plugins:
    * Try to load embedded preview image = enabled
    * Load half size image = disabled

Perhaps I should re-install on the computer where things aren't working quite right?

Thanks for any tips...

Okay, tried re-install. No sucess

Apparently no one has any tips yet.

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and checked all settings...and still no thumbnails on .avi and .wmv files. Both types of files do play within Irfanview.

Also, I do have thumbnails on .mov files though but I had them before the re-install.

Is generating thumbnails is an entirely self-enclosed process by Irfanview? That is, it doesn't depend on anything except itself and its plug-ins. Can someone tell me if that assumption false and perhaps I should be checking something external? FWIW, Windows Explorer is able to generate a thumbnail on all these types of files.

Not sure what to look at next.

One might wonder why this is a big deal to me. Because I've found that Irfanview is especially good for a project I'm working on. I want to create an HTML file structure for different sets of photos and short videos that were taken over the past few years. These are photos that I want to present to friends on CD and the HTML will provide them with an thumbnail index of contents which they can click to view the original file. Everything is ready to go...except those default .AVI and .WMV icons appear instead of actual thumbnails. And I can only do the project on the Windows XP computer which seems unable to generate those thumbnails within Irfanview. Very perplexing....

Comment

Some more data

Still only talking to myself in this thread but that's okay--that's normal.

I found that if I refresh the thumbnail view after a minute or so, then some--but not all--of the video thumbnails will appear. I suspect the difference that I'm encountering exists with the different processor speeds.

The outcome is still not entirely what I want or would expect but I'm closer.

Comment

I don't know if IV is totally independent when dealing with thumbnails, but I know that Exploder is using a different protocol, because it adds a hidden 'thumbs.db' file.
        I don't think your option setting of 'plug-ins' is very relevant, because it concerns other formats, not the video ones you mentioned.
        And it says : "Try to load embedded preview image (if available)".

My tests (running W2K - IV 4.00) :
        WMV and MOV : just the IV icon.
        AVI : thumbnail of the first frame of the movie.

This change after a refresh of your viewer is quite puzzling.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I would think the codecs on both laptops are not the same. AVI is a collective name for many kinds of codec-allianced video formats. I would install the same codec package on both laptops. Then you can really compare the ?misbehave of IV?. You could download a free package here.

Comment

Working...
          X