Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Thumbnail browser improvements

I have the following suggestions for improving the thumbnail browser:

- allow easy switching between file browser and image viewer by pressing "enter" oder doubleclick
    - allow custom sort order of thumbnails by drag and drop
    - allow individual, user-defined thumbnail sizes
    - allow sharpening of thumbnails by a user-defined amount
    - allow saving of generated thumbnails
    -- Steffen284

Hello,

storing the thumbs in a cache file (or even using the MicroSoft thumbs.db) would be a great improvement.

Regards, Nils.
    Last edited by derniwi; 04.09.2007, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffen284 View Post
      Already possible. From the file menu, "Save selected thumbs as single images."
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, but I meant an automatic saving of the thumbnails that are generated when browsing a folder, so at the next visit the folder can be browsed much faster.
        -- Steffen284

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
          Hello,

storing the thumbs in a cache file (or even using the MicroSoft thumbs.db) would be a great improvement.

Regards, Nils.
          I think MicroSoft's thumbs.db a nuisance and I certainly don't want more of the same from other apps. So, Irfan, if you should go down that way, please make it optional.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Steffen284 View Post
            I have the following suggestions for improving the thumbnail browser:

- allow easy switching between file browser and image viewer by pressing "enter" oder doubleclick
            - allow custom sort order of thumbnails by drag and drop
            - allow individual, user-defined thumbnail sizes
            - allow sharpening of thumbnails by a user-defined amount
            - allow easy switching between file browser and image viewer by pressing "enter" oder doubleclick: isn't ALT+TAB easy enough? And doubleclicking o a thumb does take you to the image viewer.

- allow individual, user-defined thumbnail sizes: already there! (Options -> Thumbnail options)

- allow saving of generated thumbnails: IV lets you save thumbnails in various formats (individual images, one image, html) (for autosave see my post above)

Comment

Totally agree on your reply.
              • sharpness is already there (switch resampling off);
              • custom sort order by drag 'n drop would only be possible when using a database and most IV users don't like .db files in their graphics folders or a growing thumbnail database somewhere else;
              • the easy switching between thumbsview and image view is also allready there: start IV with the parameter /thumbs (e.g. in a shortcut at your desktop). The Enter key is the switch between the two view modi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                ...start IV with the parameter /thumbs ...
                Thanks Sjef, just logged on to ask how to directly start the thumbnails viewer - et voilà

Comment

Important Thumbnail Browser Option

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if there is a way to Increase/Decrease Distances BETWEEN Thumbnails and also an option to NOT DISPLAY filenames in the Thumbnail Browser. I think it would be an important feature to Compare different images or similar ones side by side.

If there is already is an option/way i would be more than glad to know, and if not would love to have feature/ option. I know many would vote for that !!!

Regards,
                  I Want More

Comment

The only thing you could do, is to select a background color for the thumbnails, so the outline sizes would look all alike. The distances in between them isn't editable and also the filenames allways shows.

Comment

Open image with more than one external program?

I've just discovered IrfanView. It looks like a great program. One thing that would make the Thumbnail browser much more usefull for me, is to be able to open an image with more than one external editor/program.

Comment

One thing you can't criticize IrfanView about, is that mr. Skiljan (and his users) like to keep it simple. So if you'd like to start documents with more than one application you could use the SendTo folder (C:\Documents and Settings\‘aloomens’\SendTo). Just put Shortcuts of this applications into this SendTo folder to start them via your Context menu (rightmouseclick).

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                          One thing you can't criticize IrfanView about, is that mr. Skiljan (and his users) like to keep it simple. So if you'd like to start documents with more than one application you could use the SendTo folder (C:\Documents and Settings\‘aloomens’\SendTo). Just put Shortcuts of this applications into this SendTo folder to start them via your Context menu (rightmouseclick).
                          That's one of the things I like most about IrfanView and the Thumbnail browser is their simplicity. Can I use SendTo from within the Thumbnail Browser?

Comment

Originally posted by aloomens View Post
                            Can I use SendTo from within the Thumbnail Browser?
                            No. Not that I know of, only from Windows Explorer.

You can add several external editors in FastStone Image Viewer. It is also a great program, and it is more powerful in many ways than Irfan View.

However, it is not so simple, and it does not load nearly so many file types, which is why I rarely use it, and IV is my default image viewer. I have added an option to launch images in Irfan View from my browser menu.
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.10.2007, 02:20 PM.
                            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You can experience the main difference between IrfanView and FastStone ImageViewer when dubbleclicking at an associated image-icon. IV only loads his viewer into memory, not the browser. Faststone loads the whole program into memory, so it takes a bit longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X