.PIC format question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.PIC format question

Hi, The upgrade notes for the 4.23 version of FORMAT indicates that it will process .PIC formated pictures. I have about 300 old Floppy Shot photos that IrfanView thinks are Windows BMP files and does not open them correctly. Has anyone already figured this out and would they care to share with a very, very novice user? ...Please ....

Hi HazelZ,

Welcome in IrfanView Support Forum!

You need the "FORMATS.DLL"!

see:

(Click on this screenshot to go to IrfanView plugins!)

Do you have installed iv_formats.zip or (better) irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe?

regards
    Frank

Comment

Please attach a sample *.pic file (you will have to zip it) for testing.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi

I do have the formats.dll file that came from that 4.25 download link that Frank referenced. And yes, I installed both of those files. In my help about, it shows version 4.23 but my scroll bar does not go far enough to the right to actually "see" PIC as a format that is supported. A sample is attached. (I have no clue what the picture is and apologize up front if its offensive in anyway :-) ) The file is only 35k so I didn't zip it.

Thank you !
        Hazel

Comment

Originally posted by HazelZ View Post
          The file is only 35k so I didn't zip it.
          As I said, you must zip it (or it won't be attached). The *.pic format is not supported by the forum.

The plugin version should match the IrfanView version. If you're using 4.23 it is recommended to use the plugins from version 4.23.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.10.2009, 05:30 AM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry about not zipping upload.

But ... the 4.23 version of the FORMATS.DLL is the only one that I can see when I downloaded and installed the latest version of the plugins. When I do "help about" am I supposed to have all plugins at the same version? Mine are not - different plugins are at different versions, however the base product is 4.25.

So, this software can not handle PIC files? Is there more than one flavor of PIC files then? According this website "... TTF, FITS, PIC, HDR, MAG ..." Just curious.

thanks for your help. this software is awesome BTW.

Comment

Sorry about not zipping upload.

But ... the 4.23 version of the FORMATS.DLL is the only one that I can see when I downloaded and installed the latest version of the plugins. When I do "help about" am I supposed to have all plugins at the same version? Mine are not - different plugins are at different versions, however the base product is 4.25.

So, this software can not handle PIC files? Is there more than one flavor of PIC files then? According this website "... TTF, FITS, PIC, HDR, MAG ..." Just curious.

thanks for your help. this software is awesome BTW.
              Welcome to the Forum, HazelZ. You got Bhikkhu slightly wrong there... IrfanView opens PIC files (though it does not save in the PIC format). However, the Forum does not accept attachments in the PIC format, so you will need to attach your PIC file as a zip file, for us to view. We won't hold it against you, if the PIC file isn't quite what you expected it to be!

Your Plugins and IrfanView MUST match. You can download the latest versions of both from the IrfanView home page (http://www.irfanview.com)

And YES, IrfanView is indeed awesome - so much power packed into something that is tiny, yet loads and works so quickly!
              Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

Hi.
                Thanks for the feedback. Attached is another .PIC in ZIP format. I redownloaded the plugin's and the version from the Help for FORMATS.DLL is still 4.23 and I still can't open attached PIC file (and actually see anything).

Just to be clear ... I am looking to convert to a jpeg or some other common format and burn to DVD. I could careless about the PIC original files if I can get them converted.

Ideas? Suggestions on what to do?

Thank you :-)
                Hazel
                Attached Files

Comment

message by PSP : this is not a valid Pictor / Pc Paint PIC file.
                  And it's possible that other apps are having their own .pic format as well. Checked :

Wotsit.org : LOTUS 1-2-3, CCD Astrocamera format for MiPS, Autodesk Animator.

I found the string 'jpeg' in the file header. But renaming didn't help.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It could be a propriatory format used by the Camera manufacturer.

What brand of camera was used? Do you still have the camera? I recall that my teacher had one of these cameras, but don't remember how we opened the files — probably it was done on the Mac as he was a Mac user.

Comment

The files came from "Floppy Shots" film, who I have been unsuccessful finding on the web. Camera was a plain old 35mm - nothing special and I don't have it any longer. I have friends who have MAC's and I will see if they can open it.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not able to open the .PIC file too... As far as I understand, it has a BMP file header. IrfanView converted it (on prompt) to a BMP, but there was just a thin strip of stony texture to view. When I attempted to open it in GIMP, I got the message that the BMP header of the PIC file is corrupt...
                        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                        IrfanView Website - Here
                        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Is this what you need? I am unfamiliar with the format.

Where did you get these images? I would think that however they were made would be proprietary, but the exclusive program for reading would be put on the disc with the images. Is that not true?

If these are important, it sounds like you may have to find a really good photo lab or recovery facility that might have the resources to open this archaic format. But it most likely will be costly.

I get the impression that if you have no idea what they are, and are only starting to think about them after 13 years, then they can't be that important. Technology comes and goes. You must always maintain things in a common format for the future. Or keep prints, which never seem to die!
                          Last edited by Skippybox; 27.10.2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Well, in fact, that is just what I am trying to "update" :-) Having just moved houses, I didn't want to throw out all these old photo's on a bunch of 3.5" diskettes. I think I have hard copies around "somewhere". I have the original software viewer and Vista didn't play nice (GEE f'ing WIZ, why am I not surprised ?) so I need to find a win2k or earlier OS to try and run it and see if it has options to save as something else.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it !!

I think I will make donation to this lovely software development group.

Comment

Well, in fact, that is just what I am trying to "update" :-)
                              Yes, but now you're experiencing the difficulties of not doing it sooner.

I have the original software viewer and Vista didn't play nice (GEE f'ing WIZ, why am I not surprised ?) so I need to find a win2k or earlier OS to try and run it and see if it has options to save as something else.
                              That's great that you still have the software, because that's what you really want. Shouldn't be a problem really finding an old OS or computer. Even I still have a Win95 and an Atari system. In fact, XP would probably work for you.

If the program is not to friendly when it comes to saving in another format, you could always try screen capturing the images in the viewer if possible. Good luck HazelZ!

Comment

Working...
                              X