Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvas Size Confusion

Hi
    I've only recently installed Irfanview and am quite a newbie to it, but am quite familiar with other graphics programs.
    I performed a batch conversion on a large number of files the other day, first making the images (of varying height and width) 500px by 500px using the Canvas Size option and renaming them. Then reducing to 200px by 200px and then to 100px by 100px. This whole process went through without a hitch. Then I tried doing the same again today, by doing Canvas Size on one file and then by trying the Batch Conversion again and this time as far as I can see, the Canvas Size seems to be adding a border of 500px to each edge!
    Admittedly and a bit oddly, this does coincide with what the dialog box of Canvas Size says it's going to do, but this throws up the question of why it worked the other day (I've revisited all the files that they are all 500px by 500px with the original picture perfectly placed in the middle.
    More importantly, what am I doing wrong, or what am I missing that has made this difference happen?

Thanks for any help.

RoPey

Hi RoPey,

Is it possible you used Image / Canvas resize (not sure of the translation from french) instead of Image / Resize (Ctrl-R) or vice-versa?

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

If you only want to resize the image, you should leave the "Canvas size" batch option alone. It was probably unchecked the first time, and did not have any effect.

Did you change only the (batch) resize setting the first time? Did you open the Canvas Size dialog for each change? If you did, it must not have been checked. The only thing that the Canvas Size should do is add some extra blank space.

It can be hard to keep track of all the batch options, it's easy to miss one box that should (or should not) be checked. I've done a few miserable things. lol
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
      X