Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slideshow plays fine in "Slideshow", but not when exported to .scr or .exe

OK, here's what I'm doing:
    I'm turning an old laptop into a digital picture frame, and I want it to display movies as well as still pictures. I've used IrfanView before for other things, but I didn't know until today that it was capable to making .mov and .jpg files into one slideshow.

Basically, I'm SO FREAKING CLOSE! I installed A TON of codecs, and the IrfanView add-ons / plugins. Here's the problem:

When I open IrfanView and go to the "Slideshow" dialog, I can add my .mov files (from digital camera) and .jpg files into the same slideshow, and click "Play" and it plays fine. When I try to export that to a .scr or to a .exe file, there are no export errors, but when I try to run the .scr or .exe file, .jpg's show up fine, but there is an error message that appears for .mov files:

...blah blah blah... "The specified cannot be played on the specified MCI device" ...blah blah blah... install more codecs. (there is no file extension descriptor like in the same error I got when I first installed IrfanView... codecs fixed that, which I expected).

Ok, so that's what happens when I try to run .mov files. I took it one step further and tried converting a .mov to a .wmv file, and the problem then becomes even worse: iview and explorer.exe crash every time (plays fine from within IrfanView though).

Now, that error above I got when I first tried setting up IrfanView, and codecs (of course) fixed it (I had anticipated codec problems). So, I was thinking maybe this had something to do with file associations, so I associated all .mov's with Irfanview, same problem.

I searched for information on MCI devices, and nothing I found applied to any windows version later than NT.

I hate to just blame it on a "bug," but that is what I think this MIGHT be. It would appear to use a different application to open the file in .scr or .exe modes than from within IrfanView.

Anybody know of a work-around or whether or not this can be considered a bug? Thanks.

For a while now I'm busy with an investigation of a slideshow with images plus media-files like audio or movies.
    I mainly tested combinations with audio first, but I remember a try with an image and a movie compiled to an exe-file as well.
    When running the exe, I got the system in a freeze.

A first issue that appeared to be important was the order of the files in the list. It can cause different behaviour.
    In a way quite logical, because there can be a conflict in the value set as "advancement" time, and the duration of the movie.

I'm still not sure this is a bug, but IV obviously has problems with this. Logical too, because the Slideshow originally was designed to be used only for images, and an occasional Mp3 as background music.

I will still continue this investigation, so any post about the practice is welcome. I have to finish the part with audio yet,
    the reports about it you can find here.
    After that, I will do the same with adding movie-formats.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have added a question on the end of my last post:

Do you or anybody on this forum know of a (hopefully free) tool that would be more suited to my needs?

I have spent all day searching online, only to find that each app I found did all but one thing I wanted. IV was the first I found that did everything I needed it to (except that you have to manually create the slideshow each time you add media... but oh well). Of course, it isn't actually doing what I need it to right now, but hopefully the strong support of this wonderful community will fix that.

Another problem I just decided that I'd be willing to deal with about using IV (even if this would work) is that you have to re-create the slideshow each time. I have set the laptop I'm using for this project up to be a network-managed Windows machine, so I really would like to avoid having to do anything other than simply copy the files to the appropriate folder and be done with it. Having to use the machine to re-create the slideshow each time sounds like a real pain. (My original plan was to just use the Windows "My Pictures Slideshow" screensaver, until my girlfriend said she wanted to be like Harry Potter.)

Anyways, if anybody knows of something that might do this for me, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

If I'm not wrong, there has been posts on this forum mentioning other slideshow makers before. So try a search.
        It's difficult to give an advice here, because personal system-conditions can be different. Often a matter of paths.
        Did you try adding a TXT-file with the slideshow in each appropriate folder ?
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
        X