Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with "remember the last window/size position"

Hello!

We use IrfanView on our terminal servers and therefore we have set the "i_view32.ini" to read-only so the users can't change our default settings.

However, we have a "conflict" with the "remember the last windows/size position" and "only 1 instance of IrfanView is active". The default start position is upper left corner. Our users like to have IrfanView in the right side of the monitor.

So the problem is that when they load a new image IrfanView will automatic open a new instance and this will be the default position in the left side -becuase IrfanView can't save the position in the right due to the read-only.

It looks like it's because IrfanView doesn't re-use the already opened Irfanview when opening a new image.

Is there a way around this? We're running 3.98.

If "remember the last windows/size position" is set before IV is closed, then there is no 'default' upper left corner the next run.
    If "only 1 instance of IrfanView is active" is set before IV is closed, then I don't understand how loading a new image can cause opening a new, second instance of IrfanView.
    So I guess your ini-file wasn't properly prepared for these conditions before making it read-only.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OK, you're probably right. I've uploaded our .ini file so you can take a look if you have time: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GRUNZO3B. I suspect the "WinPosition" section to be the culprit.

Also in the upload is a small .avi showing how IrfanView actually closes the current active IrfanView window and opens a new one (disappears from the taskbar). It's not opening a second window so there's 2 opened IrfanView windows.

So the "only 1 instance of IrfanView is active" is actually working hence there's only 1 instance running. However, the closing and opening IrfanView part I believe is my problem for not remember the position of the window.

Thanks so far!

Comment

I'm sorry, I was forced to reject the .ini file, because I didn't like the download environment. Too much fuzzy conditions.

Just a small test :
        With ini-file writable, and "remember the last windows/size position" set, open a bitmap, smaller than the screen, with IV.
        It will probably be at the left upper corner. Then, with the title bar, drag the window towards the right corner, and close IV.
        Now, open the bitmap again. It should show up on the same spot at the right.
        (Of course it would be elegant to have a preset of 'right upper corner' as well, but that's quite complicated compared to 0,0)
        The "WinPosition" section indeed is the place for the coordinates.
        So if these are set to one's custom X-Y values, that's the moment to make the .ini-file read-only.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yeah, I see what you mean. I've uploaded the file to another place:
          Svarene.dk er et moderne medie der primært beskæftiger sig med vidensdeling. Jeg mener at viden er grundlaget for positiv udvikling.Svarene.dk ønsker kort og

I've also tried your suggestion and can't get it to work. I can't seem to change the 0,0 position eventhough IV is in the right side of the screen when I close it. It will always start up in the left side. I can see that it very briefly starts in the right side and then switch position to the left side.

The "WinPosition" in the .ini file is changed to xKoord=625 and yKoord=9 but still IV doesn't use these when opening a new picture. What could be the reason for this?

However, my "problem" is not that the users need to drag IV to the right side the first time IV is opened. It would be okay if they just had to drag IV one time a day. If just all new opened pictures would open in IV in the same postion instead of re-opening IV when the new picture load.

Comment

The parameters in the Winposition sector of your ini file are just to load this position into memory, starting IrfanView. If an image is bigger then the screen, the window position cannot be something else than ?left? for obvious reasons. So that is the position at that moment. Scrolling to the next image will be on the left side of the screen again, occuring to the parameter in the (read only) ini-file. Only after closing IrfanView the old ?right? site position will occur again. So it's the resolution of the images you should think about to avoid this annoyance.

Comment

OK, I can see you're right about that. Normally I use "fit only big images to desktop" so maybe I should use "fit only big images to window".

Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Comment

I think the idea is dead on arrival. You can set the x-coordinate to something other than 0 and the window will obey, but if "remember last position" is set, it has a conflict with the read-only nature of its "memory" - the INI.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

2 matera
                  You're right. That's why I suggested to make that the last action before saving the ini. Then this setting should be disabled.

As Sjef states, problems occur when a bitmap is bigger than the screen. Then a starting point at a right upper corner can't be handled by IV, because of the restrictions of Windoze. If a horizontal scroll is needed, because the content is bigger the the available space, the expansion scroll will be to the right. So IV has to jump back to the left upper corner of 0,0.
                  Afaik Windoze can't supply a scroll-room to the left with negative coordinates. Which would be necessary if the starting point was at the upper right corner.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sorry, but for the delayed reply but I've been testing a bit further.

Using the "fit only big images to window" I can get a bit further. When this option set I can resize the IV Window and be able to view small and big images without IV changing it's position. That is when browsing the same folder using page up and down.

The problem is when I leave IV open and open another image file it will return to the "standard" position and size that's in the ini file.

I believe that is my "main" problem that when opening a new image IV actually closes and opens a new instance of the program - instead of reusing the currently opened Window. Even when "remember last position" and the ini writable I can't make it work. Only if I close IV before opening a new image (so the position if saved in the ini) I can make it work.

Isn't this possible to fix?

I would hate to switch to Windows picture and fax viewer in order to make it work for good.

Comment

Originally posted by je79ayps View Post
                      We use IrfanView on our terminal servers and therefore we have set the "i_view32.ini" to read-only so the users can't change our default settings. However, we have a "conflict" with the "remember the last windows/size position" and "only 1 instance of IrfanView is active".
                      I couldn't tell how you can be completely satisfied, solving your problem. Maybe you could think of stepping off the ?only 1 instance is active? option (with your ini set to read-only again). Than at least every image smaller than the screen will start in the upper-right corner of the screen.
                      I believe that is my "main" problem that when opening a new image IV actually closes and opens a new instance of the program - instead of reusing the currently opened Window.
                      I don't think your believing is correct here. It only seems so, but you can observe the contrary by ?drag ?n drop? a graphic into an open IV-window. If this image is larger than the screen, the top-right-start-up has gone, so it must be the same instance of IV.

Comment

I would prefer not to make the .ini file writable because then the users can change settings for all users on the server.

However, IV doesn't need to start in the right side. It's okay if it default is in the left side if it would just stay in that position where the users would like it to be (the position and size).

I tried to drag and drop as you suggested and that works the way I would like IV to behave when opening new (not drag and drop).

Still it's a "different" way of viewing and opening a new image. If you look at the below clip you can see that IV *actually* closes and reopens when a new image is viewed by double clicking the image (while IV already is open).
                        Svarene.dk er et moderne medie der primært beskæftiger sig med vidensdeling. Jeg mener at viden er grundlaget for positiv udvikling.Svarene.dk ønsker kort og

This also makes sense to me because when IV opens again it has the default position which proves the first instance of IV has been closed and a new has been opened. This even happens with small images.

Comment

However, we have a "conflict" with the "remember the last windows/size position" and "only 1 instance of IrfanView is active". The default start position is upper left corner. Our users like to have IrfanView in the right side of the monitor.
                          However, IV doesn't need to start in the right side. It's okay if it default is in the left side if it would just stay in that position where the users would like it to be (the position and size).
                          The closing and reopening your talking about isn't the case when opening a file from the IV File menu. You mean dubbleclicking a file from the Explorer, I suppose. When I spoke of ?drag 'n drop? I didn't mean you should allways open files this way.

Maybe this is an idea: Don't associate any extensions to IrfanView on your terminal server. Then you automaticly obligate the users to first start IrfanView (at the top-left corner) and then Open a file (with the o key).

If the aim is just showing the picture, you could zoom out with the minus key and lock the appropiate size with Shift+L. The user could drag the IV window to the top-right of the screen, but IV will allways start to show a new loaded graphic from the top-left corner of its own workspace. I hope now you'll see the logic of that behaviour.

Comment

Yes, it's double clicking a file for opening it. Well in my specific case it's opening the images from our invoice system (AS400 system) but it's similar like double clicking the file.

It's not possible for us to use the "open" within IV because our users only have access to the images directly from the invoice system. The have an option that says "view" and when they do that it will fire up IV. Then most of them will drag IV to the right side of the screen so they're able to see both windows. But then the 2nd image they want will close the current active IV and open a new instance with the default position.

I can see the logic in the behaviour (hence the "memory" is the ini file) but still don't understand why IV would/should behave like this. I would think the ideal way would be to leave IV open when a new file is opened. It is already checking if IV is opened so why not just use the currently running instance instead of loading a new one? It would also be faster.

Comment

IV is a viewer who is generally being used to browse and view the images in folders. The user starts an associated image by dubbleclicking and browse through the rest of the images with the spacebar (windowed) or the arrow keys (fullscreen). IrfanView will not restart when working like this. Also dubbleclicking from the thumbsbrowser will not reopen IV. Starting from another program by dubbleclicking or Enter, e.g. within Explorer, IV will allways start with a clean window. I can imagine Irfan Skiljan could look into your question, because I too don't see why a new IV has to be reopened when there's allready one in memory (on screen).

Comment

Working...
                              X