Save as PNG (slow process) as independent process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Save as PNG (slow process) as independent process

Im using the save as PNG by using PNGOUT plugin quite often because of the smal filesizes.

The issue is that I often want to open other images while the process is running, but that must wait for the PNGOUT plugin to finish.

So what about letting the PNGOUT run in a process or thread that is independent of Irfanview itself? That is, if I open a imagefile in windows explorer that is asociated to irfanview, it will open instantly instead of waiting for PNGOUT to finish.

And two more requests about that:
    - The user should be able to set the priority of PNGOUT process to Idle.
    - There should be a queue system, so that the user can save as PNG, but after 10 seconds or so he has another image to save. That means that irfanview either support more than one instances of PNGOUT running simultaneously Or puts the new image in a queue, so that PNGOUT starts over again after finishing the last image. Got this idea while saving multiple screen captures. I don't want to wait for tha last one to finish, that's it. And batch conversion isn't such a good idea for two or three images only I think, and envolves much more user activity than my suggestion.
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Open another instance of Irfan View and work in that. PNG OUT will work in the background in the other instance.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Open another instance of Irfan View and work in that. PNG OUT will work in the background in the other instance.
      But I like the feature that alows only one instance of IV running.

As an alternative, there could be an option for:
      - If IV is running in background while it's in a saving/converting process and user tries to open an image-file from explorer (associated with IV), then it'l override the "allow only one instance" setting, and do the following:
      - Open IV in another instance (current directory same as other instance if no filepath argument), minimize the first instance (that is running in background) and set priority for it to Idle.

Comment

The priority of PNGOUT should always be idle. This program is very slow and should not prevent the computer from functioning properly while it's running.

Comment

I have an idea.

Since many computers today have two or more cores, why not just have the option to choose Irfanview spawning several instances of pngout when many files is to be converted to png?

As it is today, If I can open two instances of Irfanview and process half of the files on each instance, I do it. But it's terrible tedious task to do.

Last autumn, I upgraded to a quad core cpu. Just the idea of manually open four instances of IV manually. . .

Comment

I never bother with PNGOUT — it is just not worth the wait.

Install PNG Crush and compress PNG files from Windows Explorer.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintdriver View Post
              I have an idea.

Since many computers today have two or more cores, why not just have the option to choose Irfanview spawning several instances of pngout when many files is to be converted to png?

As it is today, If I can open two instances of Irfanview and process half of the files on each instance, I do it. But it's terrible tedious task to do.

Last autumn, I upgraded to a quad core cpu. Just the idea of manually open four instances of IV manually. . .
              Wow, someone continues its own thread after 4 years.

You may install pingout or a simular exe as an external editor in Irfanview. This allows you to start it as an independent process with one keypress and Irfanview will not block.

Typically it makes no sense to try to change a program form single threaded to multi-threaded.
              It is much easier to rewrite it from scratch respecting all the issues regarding gui and tools. Then you can move step by step the plugins to the new environment.

Still as long as Irfan likes to support platforms like W98 this makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
                Still as long as Irfan likes to support platforms like W98 this makes no sense.
                See if I can get time to make a vbs to call IV and to learn any neccesary command line options.

PNG crush seems to only accept PNG files as input.

I see that the original problem stated in first post doesn't apply anymore as I can open any number of IV instances that I want.

[Edit]
                I Think I hit the wall here

I can't see no options for use pngout in list of command line parameters.
                Last edited by Sprintdriver; 23.04.2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X