Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irfanview shows different than Windows Fax Viewer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview shows different than Windows Fax Viewer?

I'm an actor, and I just had some pictures done for my website. When I look at the pictures in Windows Fax Viewer, they are fine. When I look at them in Irfanview, some of the white or grey areas become silvery, almost as if they became metallic.

It may be the DPI setting. The photographer told me, "The files I sent you are 2912 pixels wide for portrait and 4368 wide for landscape at 300 dpi so I don't believe you can just compress them without changing the dpi and pixel amount."

When I open the shots in Irfanview, they are 72 DPI. I changed them to 300DPI but it didn't seem to matter.

Any ideas?

Best,
    Dan Jablons
    danjab@gmail.com

Setting the Dots Per Inch has no effect on image data. This field exists in many image formats to describe the resolution during image acquisition or the size an image should be printed. Graphics editors, including IrfanView show the actual decoded RGB pixels without trying to simulate printed output.

Comment

7jn is right. This appears to be a very common misunderstanding when dealing with graphics on a computer. The DPI.
      It's only valid during importing or exporting the data, not when the result is shown on the monitor.
      The mathematics of size is different.
      And what's the real, 'fine' picture ? Strictly the RGB-values, or the simulated result of the fax or print output by some formula? Let alone everybody's personal gamma-setting of the monitor, properties of printers and paper, or the space you have available on a particular website to place the picture.

I suppose the photographer meant with 'compress' making them smaller, because 2912 pixels wide is quite big for a website.
      Such transformations can easily cause artifacts too.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Understood the replies, now what do I do?

Hi guys,

I understand what you guys said. But I'm not sure how to address the problem. Here's a little more data.
        1. I got the pictures from the photographer on a CD
        2. I used a web editor called NVU, and wanted to add the pictures to my website.
        3. When I did, they came out all silvery.
        4. I thought I could bring them into IrfanView to correct them. But it looks like I can't

So, how can I fix these pictures? Any ideas?

Best,

Dan Jablons
        danjab@gmail.com

Comment

I understand that you want to fix the files written by NVU. How about you downsample to a "web resolution" the originals you got on CD?

It's hard to imagine what you mean by "silvery", only thing comes to mind is effects of improper downsampling.

Comment

Hi,

welcome here

You can try to use the batch- conversion in IrfanView for changing the dpi value + generally the size of your portrait.

It may help you to get a "viewable" picture like you can see in the windows fax viewer.

steve

Comment

I have a feeling that part of the problem is that the images are being viewed at a reduced size rather than at their true size, and so the difference in the resampling methods used by the different viewers causes some of the difference in appearance. I have noted that many people have no idea how large an image is, they never see one at full size.

NVU is a fine Html editor, but it is NOT an image editor. Like any WYSIWYG editor, it allows you to "resize" an image by displaying it at a reduced size rather than actually making the image smaller. Therefore, a 3000 pixel image seen on the web page may be 500 pixels wide in the browser window, but the actual image is still 3000 pixels wide. The web browser is not an image editor either, and when it squeezes an image it can make it look like pure crud.

The thing to do is to resize the images - with IrfanView, of course - to the exact size required before creating the web page. Play around with the options a little, there is a lot that can be done with IV.

DPI applies only to printing, it is irrelevant with regard to a web page.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I have noted that many people have no idea how large an image is
                I agree. It's because of image viewers like ShImgVw.dll which display the pic always fitted to window.

Comment

Hi matera,

I have noted that many people have no idea how large an image is, they never see one at full size.
                  You are 200% right. Sometimes I visit web pages where the thumbnails are loaded very slowly, because the images used as thumbnails displayed in the browser with a size of say 150 * 100 pixels are actually the full resolution images at 3000 * 2000 pixels.

Laurent
                  Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
                  X