Saving/Reloading "Save As" option "groups" or "profiles"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Saving/Reloading "Save As" option "groups" or "profiles"

I find myself switching between two different groups of "Save As" options for JPEG images, one with things like EXIF data being kept, lower compression ratio, etc. (larger file sizes, for personal use and further editing), and the other with no EXIF data, higher compression, etc. (for smaller file sizes and sharing).

I often wish that I could define each of these groups of options somehow, and save them, and then swap between them easily.

In the same way, I alternate between a couple of different combinations of batch resize options.

Note: I would consider this more as an idea to ponder than as a request.
    Last edited by dave_08057; 09.09.2007, 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a thought

Would alternating between Save and Save as... be enough for you?
    Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
      Would alternating between Save and Save as... be enough for you?
      No, I think they both use the same JPEG setting and so forth.

Comment

The same JPEG setting is the crux in this case. This is saved in "i_view32.ini". No room for a second setting.
        Also valid for Batch options.

So a workaround for switching between different save-settings could be, to replace the current .ini-file by a version with the appropriate settings (before opening IV !). Such an ini had to be saved of course outside the IV-root, because it has the same name.
        You can avoid this by giving it a slightly different name like "i_view32e.ini", where the 'e' stands for 'with exif information'.
        But the process of replacement with the current one will be quite a complex renaming of things.

The solution for this single-name problem is keeping each .ini version as the same "i_view32.ini", but put in its own subdir.
        So then the version indicator is not in the filename, but should be added in the name of the subdirectory.

How about making a main subdir of IrfanView called "inifiles" for example, where each setting has its own subdirectory, like "inifiles\save_noexif" with its own version of the "i_view32.ini".
        This gives room for adding some info txt-file about the setting as well, like :

[JPEG]
        Load Grayscale=0
        ExifRotate=0
        Save Quality=75
        Save Progressive=1
        Save Grayscale=0
        NoSampling=0
        KeepExif=0
        KeepCom=0
        KeepIptc=0
        ExifOrient=0

So it's a matter of overwriting the actual ini-file before opening IV and start the planned process.
        If you want to play it elegant, create a special dir "inifiles\current_ini" where you save a copy of the actual situation ini-file,
        before overwriting it with the 'session' one.
        So after your work has finished, you can overwrite "i_view32e.ini" again with the 'last' setting if you want.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

This is somewhat related to a wish that I had posted in another thread recently, but for this one, the way my favorite file manager (XYplorer) handles this issue might be applicable: A menu command to "Load Configuration", so one can dynamically swap to another INI file...it also has commands to 'save/save as' these same INI config files.

The currently active INI file name is shown in title bar so you know exactly which INI file you're using, and this scheme allows one to have multiple configs that apply to different situations.
          Last edited by j_c_hallgren; 10.09.2007, 03:46 AM.

Comment

The currently active INI file name is shown in title bar
            Interesting feature, but is shown in the title bar of what ?
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
              Interesting feature, but is shown in the title bar of what ?
              The title bar of the application, in this case for IV, it's the blue area next to "IrFanview" and the logo...
              For XYplorer, as it's a file manager, it has the current path there, as WinExpl does, but after that, it has "- XYplorer @ XYplorer.ini" in my case, as I'm using the standard one.

Comment

The same JPEG setting is the crux in this case. This is saved in "i_view32.ini". No room for a second setting.
                And that seems to be a limitation of the imagination. There is no reason that the INI can not have sub-categories in each section.

There could easily be [Save, EXIF], [Save, JPEG] [Save, GIF] and even a [Save, General] when a specified Save Type is not defined. Some programmatic way of handling subsections.

In addition to that, there could just as easily be a [SaveAs, EXIF], [SaveAs, JPEG], etc., sections for that differentiation, if it was felt necessary.

I understand that IrfanView is not written that way, to search through the INI to more than one section for saving. But it could be done. I worked with one programmer who was never deterred with special requests, he always just said "I can program anything, just define to me what you want" and we (the group we were in) were never let down. Many programmers are intrigued, stirred, made to rise to the occasion, by such requests.
                I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

2 j_c_hallgren
                  I don't see any info about the ini-file in IV's title bar, just 'logo-filename-IrfanView'. But maybe this is due to the fact that I use another filemanager, TC.

Originally posted by ChuckE
                  And that seems to be a limitation of the imagination. There is no reason that the INI can not have sub-categories in each section.
                  You're absolutely right. I just referred to the situation as is.
                  And I have enough programming experience to imagine all kinds of subsections in an INI file.
                  The more settings in that file, the better. (OT: The less usage of the bl**dy registry, the better.)

Most of the time it's a matter of introducing new variables, and using almost exact an already existing subroutine.
                  I don't think that Mr. Skiljan is short of challenges in this field, but I support your request for a solution inside the INI file.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

2 j_c_hallgren
                    I don't see any info about the ini-file in IV's title bar, just 'logo-filename-IrfanView'. But maybe this is due to the fact that I use another filemanager, TC.
                    I think what we had here was a failure in communication.
                    My original post was describing how XYplorer handles multiple INI files and how XY shows name of INI in title bar, and I suggested that IV do the same...so when you asked "title bar of what?", I may have answered the wrong question or the question wrong...in either case, I hope you now get what I meant...so that in future, if you're using IV, user may be able to see a visual of what INI they are running with...ok?

Comment

I understand what you meant now.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                      X