Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request: Make IrfanView work with Vista's saved-searches (*.search-ms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Request: Make IrfanView work with Vista's saved-searches (*.search-ms)

I routinely use IrfanView to view (browse) photos in a folder by right-clicking on the folder name and then selecting 'Browse with IrfanView...'. I'd like to be able to do the same thing with Vista saved-searches.

'Saved searches' in Vista are a great way to isolate a group of photos from a huge collection -- just about any search criteria can be entered, and Vista's Explorer shows the resulting list as if it were a bunch of files in a folder. Unfortunately, it is not entirely like a folder -- Vista doesn't offer 'Browse with IrfanView...' when the saved-search 'folder' is right-clicked. However, Vista right-click does offer 'Open with...', which lists IrfanView. Unfortunately, IrfanView doesn't yet know about the search-ms file type (that's the file type given to saved-searches by Vista) and so IrfanView doesn't display (browse) the files.

The search-ms file type is a text file containing XML that describes the search that generates the file collection (use SentTo->Notepad, for example, to view the search-ms file as text).

It'd be great if IrfanView would recognize the search-ms file type, parse the XML to extract the query, give the query to the Microsoft index engine, and then operate on the returned list of files as if they were the contents of a directory (folder).

This would let IrfanView users harness the power of Vista's saved searches. I'd love it!

(I prefer IrfanView over MS's Photo Gallery -- IrfanView is fast and doesn't create a thumbnail database.)
Working...
X