Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No text on pdf

hello,
    when i open a pdf file in irfanview sometimes the text has gone. when i open the same pdf on another computer the text suddenly is visible. i'm using irfan 4.25 with gohstscript 870w32 and i have all the plug inn's installed on both computers, and configured irfanview the same on both computers.

any idea's? grtz januz
    as't nie kan zoas't mut, da mut't ma zoas't kan!

If you have such sample file(s) then please upload the file(s) to the forum!
    You should zip your file(s) before uploading to forum!

Comprehensible proofs are better than bare statements!

Comment

might be stupid me, but how do i upload files? it all stops for me at the file upload manager. i am able to select the file on my computer but i can't drag it to the attachments area...

Comment

I didn't have much luck either — the forum software was recently updated, and maybe something has not been enabled yet. The PDF could also be too big — the size limit is 1.91 Mbytes

You can send the file to me directly via Document Courier (Current password = januz)
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.01.2010, 04:59 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

I've uploaded the zip file. It contains a pdf and a png, i would like to convert the pdf file to a png file. as you see only the textline at the top of the pdf/png is readable, all other text has gone. when i open the attatched pdf in irfanview it looks just like the png, containing no text.
          grtz, januz

Comment

Confirmed. I can see the text in PDF-XChange or Adobe Reader, but not in IrfanView.

We will have to wait for the PDF developer to pass by. Your no_text.zip file is available from my downloads area as long as I am online. Current Password = Satipatthana

Downloads
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Not confirmed!

I've downloaded the file "no_text.zip" from Bhikkhu Pesala's download area and I must say:

I can't confirm the statement/error message: "No text on pdf"!

I've test it on two different PC's (both with Windows XP SP3) but one with IrfanView V4.23 and the other one with V4.25! The installed Ghostscript version in both cases is GPL Ghostscript V8.64!
              (Until now I don't have tried GPL Ghostscript V8.70 - maybe this could be your reason!)

Here you can see that I can open your sample: on the left: V4.23 / on the right: V4.25

(Click to view full size!)

regards
              Frank

Comment

Hi Frank, like I said in my original post, the problem only is there on one computer, and whem i am opening the same pdf on another computer the text is visible. Irfanview is configured exactly the same on both computers. As Bhikkhu Pesala wrote he has the same problem with the pdf, so there must be something that's not configured right or something like that..

grtz januz

Comment

Hi januz,

Have you tried IrfanView + GPL Ghostscript V8.64?

regards
                  Frank

Comment

Hi Frank, no I haven't but I'll try first thing tomorrow morning, I'll let you know the result.
                    thanx so far

grtz, januz

Comment

Here we are again. I reinstalled irfanview and ghost script V8.64. Same result...

Comment

Which OS you are using?
                        Which other details we don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by januz View Post
                          Here we are again. I reinstalled irfanview and ghost script V8.64. Same result...
                          Did you check that all fonts needed in the pdf are available for Ghostscript? (If they are not embedded in the pdf)

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
                            Did you check that all fonts needed in the pdf are available for Ghostscript? (If they are not embedded in the pdf)
                            No i didn't 'cause I didn't know I had to.. don't know how to either..
                            I am using windows XP Proffesional wich I keep up to dat so all servicepacks and updates are installed. No more unknown details I think..

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
                              Did you check that all fonts needed in the pdf are available for Ghostscript? ...
                              How can we check it?

And what does that mean in this context:
                              Originally posted by Frank View Post
                              I've searched in internet/Google and http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/
                              and have found the following answer:

see:

(Click to view full size!)

quote:

Does it mean that exotic fonts (and/or not on the computer existing fonts) are not always supported?
                              How to choose: Embed a font or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X