Dual Monitor Slideshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Dual Monitor Slideshow

We have a need to do a presentation slideshow on a second screen so people do not see me working on getting it going. The files are just jpg's and I have not found anything that will give the option to run the actual slideshow on the second screen with the program on the first screen. Is this possible in Irfanview or with a plugin??

While IrfanView may do what you might like (via the command line switch " /monitor=X - start EXE-Slideshow on monitor X"
    I don't think that is your best solution.

You mention that it is a presentation. A presentation sometimes needs the ability to jump to particular slides, change the timing, etc. And while still IrfanView may be able to handle that, as well, the simple use of presentation tools, such as Microsoft's PowerPoint, or even the free OpenOffice Impress application should be able to do what you want. It is up to the Windows Operating System to handle multiple monitors. You just spread out your "desktop" across to allow for the screen controls on one monitor, and have the slideshow on the other. What could be simpler?
    Last edited by ChuckE; 11.09.2007, 07:29 PM.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Dual monitor slideshow

Originally posted by rrmiles View Post
      We have a need to do a presentation slideshow on a second screen so people do not see me working on getting it going. The files are just jpg's and I have not found anything that will give the option to run the actual slideshow on the second screen with the program on the first screen. Is this possible in Irfanview or with a plugin??
      Irfanview runs its slideshow in the main window, so if you move that to your second screen on an extended desktop then the "program" moves with it - there is nothing left on screen 1. The only possibility is to open a separate thumbnail window first and leave that on the first screen. No help to you whilst running a true slideshow on screen 2, but if you just want to display selected images to your audience you can double click on screen 2 to set it to full screen view and then choose what to show by double clicking appropriate thumbnails on screen 1. Can be very useful when answering audience questions.
      Having said that, unless you set up a command line to run Slideshow as ChuckE suggests, your audience will still see you drag the window on to screen 2 and start up the show there. The only program similar to IV that I know that allows you to send an open slideshow direct to screen 2 is Wildbit viewer which you can download from http://koti.mbnet.fi/mhieta/software.shtml or any of its mirrors. Have a look at the posting about using extended desktop in the general discussion section of their forum for more info. It lets you control the slideshow on screen 2 from a pop up window on screen 1.
      Good luck.
      Last edited by Mij; 11.09.2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: Incorrect information

Comment

Maybe I tell nothing new here, but you can stop/run the presentation with the Break key. You can even scroll to and from screens with the Right/Left arrow keys. But do not use the Up/Down arrow key!

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
          Maybe I tell nothing new here, but you can stop/run the presentation with the Break key. You can even scroll to and from screens with the Right/Left arrow keys. But do not use the Up/Down arrow key!
          Thanks, Sjef. I have taken out the comment I had about IV not accepting keyboard inputs on screen 2 because that seems to work OK now. I must have had the focus in the wrong window. My mistake, sorry.

Comment

Perhaps you might want to try another multi-monitor slideshow tool:
            I found this on the NoNags website. NoNags is a very nice website of links to free software that is sure to be clean of viruses and nag screens (no "please buy me" or "send money now") .

Multi-Monitor Slideshow
            JPEG and Bitmap files are supported, and can be displayed on any selection of monitors you choose.
            Other key features:
            - Images displayed in random order, by filename, or by date order.
            - Control the slideshow with either the keyboard or the mouse
            - Displays a different image on each monitor (never the same picture simultaneously on any monitor)
            - Easily switch an image between monitors while slideshow is paused
            - Slideshow can filter images to show only the newest or oldest images on disk
            - Split screen mode allows you to show up to 4 images per monitor simultaneously
            I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
            Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
            X