Screen Capture in Vista on Laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Capture in Vista on Laptop?

I have been using Irfanview for many years now and I believe (but could be mistaken) that I am familiar with capturing screenshots with it. I have only used it on desktops with traditional size screens, though. I recently bought a new 17" laptop with Vista Home Premium on it.

The other night I tried to do a screenshot. Irfanview v4.0 captured an image, but it was not the whole screen (whole screen mode) or the whole window (foreground window mode). Irfanview only captured about 2/3 of the desired screen.

So is this operator error (I need to do something different?). Or a problem with Irfanview in Vista? Or a problem that Irfanview has with a wide-screen (1440x900)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard. Then start IrfanView and press Ctrl+V. If the screen shot is 2/3 again, it must be the configuration of the system (then maybe look into the options at your video card).

Comment

>> Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard. Then start IrfanView and press Ctrl+V. If the screen shot is 2/3 again, <<

No, that way works just fine. Pasting in the image from the clipboard (prtsc) brings up the whole screenshot as it should.

Comment

Change the Screencapture setup to «Whole desktop area»

Comment

>> Change the Screencapture setup to «Whole desktop area» <<

I had already tried that. No joy. I am attaching a screenshot of the image using Whole Screen.
          Attached Files

Comment

It seems, the resolution of your screendumps are not in resemblance with the resolution of your monitor, although it is, because you get a right image after a Print Screen key-action. When you make a screenshot from within IrfanView, the program reads the addresses from your video memory. I think the fault has to be found there. On your system IrfanView can only read a part of that memory, so in my opinion it may be an IrfanView bug. It's hard to say it's caused by the way Vista (or the video card itself) handles the video memory that gives this effect on IrfanView.

Comment

It's no biggie since it's not like I do screenshots all day long..{grin}.. It's not my main useof Irfanview. 'Sides, Vista now includes the Snipping Tool which does just fine for screenshots.

FWIW, this is an HP DV9543cl laptop running an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS video card.
              Last edited by ckag; 24.10.2007, 04:01 AM. Reason: added more to video card model

Comment

why not try some other screen capture software?

Comment

Agreed. There's one small but fine capture program here to download (free).

Comment

FastStone is the best, but no longer free since version 5.3

See my review page where there is a link to the old, free version.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

screen capture tool &quot;Captureur V1.31&quot;

see also "Captureur"!

I'm using this tool on Windows XP SP2 32Bit.
                      But I don't know whether it is compatible with 64Bit or Vista system!
                      Please try!

regards
                      Frank

Last edited by Frank; 25.05.2008, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSmith View Post
                        why not try some other screen capture software?
                        For my purposes, the new Snipping Tool is just fine. Thanx!

Comment

Working...
                        X