Outlook Express Image Attachments Don't Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook Express Image Attachments Don't Display

Normally Outlook Express automatically displays JPG, JPEG and PNG files below the text body. After installing IrfanView this display feature no longer works and one is required to open each image attachment manually in Irfanview. I am unable to find what has happened to OE to restore its proper functioning.

I am no expert on OE (I call it Outhouse Espresso and shun it publicly), but I speculate that this change may have something to do with file associations. If you have associated IrfanView with JPG and PNG files, they will no longer open automatically with the (UGH!) Windows image viewer - which I assume must be somehow integrated with OE. Try reverting the associations, then see if the image behavior returns to its old mode.

I can't try the experiment (though I am curious) because it would take too long, I completely disarmed and crippled the Windows Fax and Image Viewer and would have to allow OE to download mail as well, perish forbid. LOL
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Outhouse Espresso is a nice one. I use to call it Inlook Express because of the security faults.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Re: Reply to thread 'Outlook Express Image Attachments Don't Display

matera....

You are correct but only in part.

If you reset the assoc of JPG/JPEG/JPE as unchecked, the assoc becomes that of Internet Explorer. This is not uncommon in that many mail apps display .jpgs, etc. using the native browser of the OS. However, in this case if I set the assoc to Paint Shop Pro or to PhotoShop the images will continue to display in OE regardless AND if I click on the attachment they will also continue to be called via PSP or PS while it appears that IE is still perfosrming the automatic display. In other words the automatic display of .jpg, .jpeg, etc. is not disturbed by associating with other image editors but IT IS when the assoc is to IrfanView !!!

I do not know if the same holds true for .PNG attachments but because I do not have any mail that carries this file type to test it but am reasonably sure it will perform the same way. I do not use the Windows Fax and Image Viewer and believe that is NOT a part of Win2K nor does it come with or active with OE but rather it is automatically the viewer if one uses Outlook only and displays images sent via that mail app, not OE. Outlook does not display attached images after the body of a message as Outlook Express does.

The bottom line here is that there is something unique to the coding of IrfanView which clobbers IE's ability to display images attached to mail while that does NOT happen if the assoc is to other image viewers/editors such as Paint Shop or PhotoShop

BTW, what's your preference in mail clients: for one who sends relatively simple html messages on a daily basis I haven't any fault with OE except the crazy way in which M$ locates messages relative to the way they spec the location of the Address book. There are security issues with all mail apps.

Regards, jljacobs, JLJ@JLJacobs.com

Comment

I do not have any mail that carries this file type to test it
          You can test it by sending a mail to yourself.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Oh, right, jljacobs, you got me there, wrong MS thang! But I don't use IE either *chuckle* Should have known, however - even Foxmail uses the IE engine for some things. I don't know if it can display attachments any way but as icons, I never had it any other way or would have thought to.

I have been using Foxmail for years now. I also use Popcorn for checking some accounts and deleting all the spam beforehand. I tried Thunderbird fairly recently, but took a sawed-off shotgun to it after it screwed up too many times. The newest beta version of Foxmail is doing well for me, but it gave me a rude surprise when I installed it. It popped up all Chinese. Ack. But I found a language file that had not been in the older version's folder (Chinese.lgb) and removed it, and it automatically reverted to the system default. Whew. Its updater still pops up on occasion asking me in Chinese if I want to do something. I like it, though, it is getting handier at sorting out spam. (Reminds self to check if there is a newer release)

Foxmail has a MUCH better stationery editor than OE, if you like to use HTML mail. Also has good font options for plain-text, makes bad eyes happy.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi jljacobs,

In Outlook Express, go to Tools Options and if the box shown in red in the capture attached is checked, uncheck it.
              Please let me know if this doesn't solve the problem; otherwise I'll move this thread (related to OE, not to IV) to the Off-topic section. Thanks.

Laurent
              Attached Files
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Reply to thread 'Outlook Express Image Attachments Don't Display

Laurent...

Your thumbnail is a bit small to make sure what you intend but looking at it, I believe you were asking about the "Read" tab. No, the "Read All Messages in Plain Text" wasn't and never has been checked. That would imply conversion to Plain Text which would never allow display of images. From my point of view, having used OE for more than 7 years, I am susrprised at the conflict in apps but I do understand the reason.

I previously respnded to matera several days ago --- see above --- with an explanatiojn of my own question. It still seems a bug in IrfanView to me but perhaps not to Irfan nor you.

The following is kind of a repeat of my prior sresponse: The problem is that OE uses IE to display images and if any image type is checked in Irfanview, IE will take precedence and OE no longer works as it always has/should. If you uncheck image types (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .etc.) in Irfanview, then IE will again display images using IE as it should.

Lots of mail apps use the native browser to display images inline (following the basic message 'body'. in mail but Irfanview appears to disable this capability. Other Viewers such as PaintShopPro and PhotoShop do NOT but they are to large and bloated to use as a viewer. The issue is that IE, O and OE are tightly integrated into Windows and therefore changes made in third party apos may or may not produce unpredictable results.

'matera' mentioned Microsoft Image and Fax Viewer in his response but that app does not function with OE. It is the basic viewer fosr Outlook, NOT Outlook Expsress. OE has no external viewer per se.

If .jpg,,.gif, .png, etc. are associated in Irfanview, THEN OE does not display imagesas it should: conversely, if those image types are not associated in IrfanView, THEN OE DOES display tshe images as M$ intended.

There is something in the coding of Irfanview which deactivates IE's ability to work properly witwh OE. BTW, I use FireFox2 as my browser --- not IE but IE is, as Microsoft states, not removable from Win and if it were, no image displays would be possible withing OE at all, given the fact that IE is tightly integrated with Win and removing it would remove all functions that browser provides: there may be many functions but only image display in OE !!!.

Regards, jljacobs 9/13/2007

Comment

Hi jljacobs,

Yes, I meant the "Read" tab. The thumbnail is a link to a 100% image.

The "Read All Messages in Plain Text" was my only idea, because it was the only way I found to reproduce the problem you reported in your first mail (images not displayed under the text of a mail).

I used Outlook Express for years (presently version 6) and I never had that problem. I checked once again before answering and everything is normal: attached images are displayed under the body of the message and open with the program I have associated with them (IrfanView, of course!).

Laurent
                  Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
                    Hi jljacobs,

Yes, I meant the "Read" tab. The thumbnail is a link to a 100% image.

The "Read All Messages in Plain Text" was my only idea, because it was the only way I found to reproduce the problem you reported in your first mail (images not displayed under the text of a mail).

I used Outlook Express for years (presently version 6) and I never had that problem. I checked once again before answering and everything is normal: attached images are displayed under the body of the message and open with the program I have associated with them (IrfanView, of course!).

Laurent
                    Sorry, Laurent, I too have been using OE for many years. It may work for you but it does not for me in Version 6 running on Win2K V.5 Build 2195 SP4. It works only as described both for you and for matera above. I think I understand why as explained due to IE as well. IrfanView malfunctions the same way in XP SP2 as well. Thunderbird which is not integrated with Win2K or XP and does not interact with IE does not have the problem of not displaying images regardless of how IrfanView's associations are setup. Regards, jljacobs

Comment

Thunderbird rules
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                      X