Error! Can't load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error! Can't load

I am trying to convert Canon Rebel XT .CR2 files with a crop and resize. The funny thing is, it will work once. Then when I realize I need to adjust the cropping and scaling, and try and run the batch again, it fails. Rebooting does not seem to help. I have no idea why I have been successful twice, but every other time I try it doesn't work.

I have deleted old pics so there is no overwriting of files, included subdirectories, etc. I also copied all the plugins to the appropriate directory.

Any idea what is going on? The error msg is:

Converting image: D:\shrink\IMG_0004.CR2
    Error! Can't load: D:\shrink\IMG_0004.CR2

1 Files - Errors: 1, Warnings: 0
    Last edited by lifespeed; 12.09.2007, 04:26 AM.

Hi,

you can't save a RAW file back into the RAW format .cr2. You have to select another file format like tiff. I think you destroyed your image. :-(

But just take a look at the save dialog, which image format ist selected. Maybe you can rename your image to the correct suffix and open it. But for future: DO NOT SAVE TO .CR2!!!

Regards, Nils.

Comment

The format I selected to save to was .JPEG. I will check and see if the source files have somehow been corrupted, but I am pretty sure I have never attempted to save to any format other than .JPEG, and I specified a different directory to save to. The software also refuses to overwrite files, so I think what you have described is unlikely.

Comment

Hi lifespeed,

In the advanced options for batch conversion, there is an option you have to check to overwrite existing files. But this doesn't explain why IrfanView says that it can't load you CR2 image. Can you open it with Canon's software?

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
          Hi lifespeed,

In the advanced options for batch conversion, there is an option you have to check to overwrite existing files. But this doesn't explain why IrfanView says that it can't load you CR2 image. Can you open it with Canon's software?

Laurent
          Yes, I can open it with Canon's software or Microsoft Raw Image Viewer (the actual .CR2, not just the small embedded .JPEG preview). I saw the overwrite option, but did not need to use it.

Comment

Any help with this problem? The original .CR2 files are valid, yet I get the "can't load XXX.CR2" message for the whole batch conversion.

Comment

It just occurred to me that the odd behavior I reported in this batch issue thread might be related. There seems to be something odd going on with the interaction of crop and conversion when they are both carried out at the same time - something a little inconsistent. I think we need to do some experimentation.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                It just occurred to me that the odd behavior I reported in this batch issue thread might be related. There seems to be something odd going on with the interaction of crop and conversion when they are both carried out at the same time - something a little inconsistent. I think we need to do some experimentation.
                I had read your post earlier, and tried unchecking the 'crop' option and just batch resizing. Same 'Error. Can't load!'.

I'll try copying the Canon .DLLs somewhere. I did not do anything with them because I already have the Canon software installed, and it worked fine for a couple conversions. Any reason the default Canon .DLL location is a problem?

Comment

Sorry, not an inkling. I don't have any CR2 files to play with.
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Error, Can't load

I had the exact same problem as "lifespeed". I used Irfanview to convert .CR2 files to JPG and had no problems but then suddenly, I start getting the "Error! Can't Load" message. I solved this by uninstalling Irfanview, and then re-installing it. This immediately cured the problem, taking care of whatever glitch had occured.

Comment

Working...
                    X