blank thumbnail view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blank thumbnail view

I'm not sure when this started, and can't figure out how to troubleshoot this, but it's driving me crazy...

When I try to view a directory in thumbnail mode, I get a blank gray (thumbnail background color) screen. I know images are there (all JPGs) - and I can open them individually with Irfanview just fine. But when I use the shell extension to view in Irfanview, or try to switch to thumbnails from viewing a single photo, I'm presented with a big gray blank area.

The directory structure on the left is intact and working (changing directories doesn't help), and there is no error reported. Just a blank area where the thumbnails should be.

I have Irfanview on both my home laptop and work laptop. Both are Windows XP SP2, both have 4.0.0 installed. Work laptop does not exhibit this problem - only the home computer.

I think this started in version 3.9x and I updated to 4.0.0 yesterday, hoping that would fix the problem. Same thing.

Also, I had xnView installed. Somehow I suspect this may be causing the issue. Not 100% sure, but it seems that this problem may have started after xnView was installed. I associated all file types back to Irfanview and rebooted, but still no luck. xnView is actually installed on work computer, and Irfanview works fine on that machine.

Any ideas?

Hi kennethmgreen,

Go to Options / Properties / Extensions. Either check the first radio button to have IrfanView displaying thumbnails for the file types associated with it or check the second radio button to have IrfanView displaying thumbnails for the file types whose extensions are listed in the large line; if this list is empty... You may click on Get default extensions (free translation from french version).
    Does this help?

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I am at work now (home computer is the one having the problem), and will check this when I return home.

But I'm pretty sure I looked at the file extension associations when troubleshooting this issue last night. I'll check again to make sure.

Comment

Hi kennethmgreen,

The file extension associations will or will not have effect on what is displayed in the thumbnails viewer according to which radio button is checked (see the red box on the capture I joined to my previous post). If the second radio button is checked, then adding file extension associations will not change the file types displayed in the thumbnails viewer.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear in last post. By "looked at file extensions" I meant that I had checked that screen and made sure that IrfanView was associating the correct files. I have the top radio button selected and the "All Image Files" button pressed to select image files.

So here's the weird part... I got things to work tonight on my home computer, but I can't explain how. Again, I looked at the Extensions screen. Top radio button selected, image extensions checked.

I have a big folder called Pictures with lots of directories under that containing pics. Pictures was displayed as <Pictures> - directories underneath were not.

I opened that directory - <Pictures>, and only GIFs were showing. I opened another directory one level deep - that had only JPEGs and that directory was blank. I checked in Windows Explorer, and there were JPEGs in that directory. JPEG and JPEG2000 were both checked as associations. I went back and checked again, and the JPEGs were showing up!

I tried another directory. Again, blank screen. Checked the Extensions page in Options. NO CHANGES WERE MADE. I merely pressed OK, went back to same directory that was blank and now pictures (JPEGs) are showing up!

I tried clicking through a few directories. And things now seem to be working normally. Could the file associations - perhaps in Windows - gotten corrupted?

Regardless, IrfanView seems to be back to normal! Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X