Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-rotate support for DNG files?

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, but been an IrfanView user for years. It is really a great application, so thanks a lot!

I am also a new user of DNG format (direct from my Pentax K10D camera) and I've been trying to figure out if there is a setting to get auto-rotate to be supported when viewing images. There is support in Thumbnail view, so I dont get why it's not supported when opening the images.

I tried to find an old question for this but could not find any. So sorry if this is a copy of an old thread.

BR
    Stefan

Hi ssahlander,

Maybe this can help?

I don't have DNG files, so I can't try.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

I'm quite curious about this DNG format. Anybody can deliver an example of it ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
        I'm quite curious about this DNG format. Anybody can deliver an example of it ?
        A DNG is a TIFF with some additional Tags. So no reason not to use an orientation tag in the DNG.

Comment

I could sent you one, but an example of 1024 × 768 is 4 Mb. It's not a kind of Tif file, because a Dng file is compressed (without any loss of information). The max upload is 2 Mb and I haven't got any smaller ones by now

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
            I could sent you one, but an example of 1024 × 768 is 4 Mb. It's not a kind of Tif file, because a Dng file is compressed (without any loss of information). The max upload is 2 Mb and I haven't got any smaller ones by now
            I do not know your source of information but the Adobe DNG specification (dng_spec.pdf) will tell you:

DNG is an extension of the TIFF 6.0 format, and is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard. It
            is possible (but not required) for a DNG file to simultaneously comply with both the Digital
            Negative specification and the TIFF-EP standard.

Comment

Thanks. Got enough tech info to get the picture, so no need for an example file.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by midora View Post
                DNG is an extension of the TIFF 6.0 format, and is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard.
                Yes, Dng is compatible with Tif6. What I ment was the way Tif is being internaly compressed. See the options in IV when saving to Tif. A Tif file can be compressed externaly. A Dng file too, but without any compressing result.

Comment

Working...
                X