(NO) thumbnail crashing on Quad core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(NO) thumbnail crashing on Quad core

Just an update for was has been a recurring problem on my Dell/Intel/WinXP dual-core PC.

Running WinVista Home on my Dell/Intel Quad-core and using the Thumbnails I have not seen any crashing yet. Not at all what I expected.

I still am using the same IrfanView 4.00 setup, both PCs have the patched 4.00 to permit the call-up of the IrfanPaint add-in.

Just reporting this so that Irfan might not be chasing ghosts in the code. Perhaps it is not so much the multi-core problem thought. Perhaps it is a combination of the OS (Vista might be better than XP for this?) and the processor (the Quad may be better than the Dual for the task pass-off or sharing between cores?).
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Hi,

interesting facts, did you use the stanard irfanview 4.00 version as well ?

Can find it here: www.iview32.com

thx. for reporting,

steve

Comment

I did more extensive tests. I now change my statement.
      I used both the regular v4.00 (non IrfanPaint modif) and the modifed v4.00 (with IP capability) on both Vista Basic and Vista Home Premium on this same Dell 9200 Core 2 Quad-core (a Q6600) PC and I can make the thumbnails crash. Crap!

The frequency of the crashes on this Quad-core, and on Vista, is less frequent. But it does still happen.

If you are wondering what I am doing to cause the crash, it is simple clicking on different folders in the Thumbnail folder selection. When you do that the pictures of the folder selected are refreshed. That's all. I don't even have to open a picture.

The amount of times, or the speed of my folder selections is more or faster, than what I need to cause the crash on my WinXP PC ... but it still happens.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Hi,

that's the same on my XP AMD x64 double core system. Running IView is not a big problem, but the thumbnail viewer will crash often whilen changing the directories. And it seems it doesn't matter if I wait until all preview pictures have be created or not...

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Hi,

today i´ve reported this problem to Irfan !

steve

Comment

Running wild

In the past month I started having the program lock up and when I look at it in the task manager it is taking 99% of the system.

Debug shows it looping here

008F5A66 cmp dword ptr [ecx],edx
            008F5A68 je 008F5DFF
            008F5A6E add ecx,10h
            008F5A71 inc eax
            008F5A72 cmp ecx,901640h
            008F5A78 jl 008F5A66

This happens as soon as I try to activate a menu item like file or help.

Comment

Working...
            X