Slow to respond when directory has lots of files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Slow to respond when directory has lots of files

I couldn't find a thread on this. Sorry if it's been discussed before.

Bug/Feature request:

When "View all files in directory (moving/browsing through directory + thumbnails)" is checked under Misc1, IrfanView loads quickly, but it takes a long time to load the file count (e.g. 123/10000)

Obviously, the program is gathering a count or other information about the files in the directory.

The problem is that IrfanView is non-responsive until the count finishes. Closing can't occur until this finishes either. It would be nice if this info gathering was a background task.

1) don't be surprised to encounter time-problems if you have such an extraordinary (ridiculous IMO) amount of files in one directory.
    2) Not only a matter of gathering info. If you choose for a thumbnail view, the system has to calculate a small version of each bitmap in the list, and show it. Of course IV is not that responsive, because it's trying to complete the command you gave it.
    Maybe with such big directories, if you're looking for speed, use the default 'open file' view with just the list.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I know this is a wish list item. I do use the default open file view in this case. Works fine, but browsing to the next file is not possible. This is more of a suggestion for avoiding a possible non-responsive situation...

I suspect that it builds a list of all the files in the directory, counts them and sorts them.

If it's not possible to selectively get the directory list: (i.e the list is not in alphabetical order, so you need them all to sort/count them):

Possibly this could be done:

1) Fork a background process to collect file information. That way when the info is ready you can display it, but the rest of the program is interactive/functional.
      2) Possibly have that background process be persistent. That way it caches the directory information.

Comment

Working...
      X