Request for the main site: The links on the left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Request for the main site: The links on the left

On the main site, at http://irfanview.com/ , there are a series of links on the left.

However, it's coded in such a way that if the window is too small,
    the links at the bottom simply go off-screen (no scrollbars to scroll down).

At 1024x768, the Forum link is right on the bottom edge (half hidden); any lower, and I wouldn't even know it's there.

For people with smaller monitors or who have many toolbars in their browsers, this could be a problem.
    (They wouldn't know of these forums, 'cause they'd never see the links)

I suggest bringing the links "closer together"
    (for example, get rid of the huge space between "About this author" and "Support IrfanView")
    so that they wouldn't go off-screen so easily.

Thanks!

note:

I am not certain how these forums work in terms of the bug reports and feature requests,
    as in if Irfan Skiljan actually reads the forums himself, or someone reads the forums, then summarizes them and sends them to him.

Anyone care to enlighten me? ;p
    Last edited by remain; 05.06.2007, 05:55 PM.

Hi,

in my latest mail to irfan i did post your suggestion according to the website ( after i mentioned some details about a caching function and databases for storing the image data ... technical stuff ...)

Let´s see ....

steve

Comment

Ah, good - as a user of small windows (and LARGE text) I often have problems with inflexible web design - and I never knew there was a link to the forum way down there below the bottom!
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Mine is set to 1024x768 as well, but I have no problems seeing the forum link, because I have the policy to have as much viewing
        space with as less top bars possible. But in some cases I experienced on pages the lack of a vert scrollbar as well.
        It's certainly a point to diminish the space between the left items.
        At least the lowest one, forum, could be on one line with "© 2007 by irfan skiljan".
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Big bump.

It would seem that this issue still remains.

I am now on a laptop with a resolution of 1280x768. (yes, not 1280x800, which is the more common one)

I don't see the Forum link unless I maximized the window and not have too many toolbars open.

Comment

I'm hardly an HTML expert, but shouldn't the frames use scrolling="AUTO" instead of scrolling="NO". It's not good to allow content to be cut off with no way to get to it.

Comment

I have noticed this odd placement of the bottom "Forums" link for quite a while, but I never bothered to write about it, because I thought "it was just me." Most often I had only noticed it when rebuilding someones computer and it would still be running the default VGA video drivers. The large text would place that bottom link out of view.

But the last time I was sort of stuck that way, I found that some combination of keys (and I can't recall it right now, I think it used the "down arrow") I was able to get to that bottom link.

It was clumsy, and sure as heck not intuitive, but I was able to finally see the bottom link. A much better solution would be for the web-page to be laid out better. Perhaps even additional quick-links going horizontally across the top of the page?
              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
              X