Can't create very large slideshow EXE files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't create very large slideshow EXE files

I'm trying to create a single slideshow EXE file from about 44,000 photos ( !!! :-) ). I've resized the photos so that they occupy a bit over 4 GB (ie about 100 kB each). The aim is to make a slideshow EXE file that will fit on a single DVD. The file is produced but when run invariably reports errors and displays no pictures. It either says that it is not a valid WIN32 application, or not a valid EXE file or that the wrong irfanview plugins have been used to make the EXE file. I am using version 4.00 Irfanview and the V4.00 plugins. The EXE file created is about 4.4 GB.

I can successfully make a file from 20,000+ photos and with an EXE file size in the 1 to 2 GB range that works OK. Somewhere above that it stops working.

Questions:

- Have other people had this problem?

- Is this an EXE file size problem, or a number of files problem, or ??? ?

FYI: The photos concerned are from a 25 country 9 week world trip. I would like them to be able to be displayed randomly via and EXE file. They dusplay OK when run directly from the source files using Irfanview slideshow.

regards Russell

I don't think this is a bug in Irfan View. Isn't there a limit to the size of a single executable file? Wouldn't it have to fit in memory? Try creating a batch file to run each of nine slideshows one after the other.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

exe-file size indeed
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Shortage of memory indeed.

Comment

Problem defined

The problem occurs when the file is greater than 2^31 bytes - = 2.147 GB. While this does appear to be the size limit for Windows XP EXE fikes, Irfanview will happily create larger EXE files than this without any warning that they will not work.

The ideal behaviour would be to truncate the file creation while the size is still valid - say at <= 2.145 GB (depending on the size of files being added), AND warn the user AND give some indication of the last file which was successfully added to the slideshow.

It's still extremely useful as is, but larger would be better :-).

Using multiple batch files does not do the same job as the desire was to randomly display pictures from the total file set.

regards

Russell McMahon

Comment

Why not try PicturesToExe?
            Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

You want a random file. But out of a huge collection of 44 K. Let's be realistic. If each image would be shown for 2 seconds, it would take, at least, more than a day, to show them all.
              Suppose you divide the collection into two exe-files, which are by random activated after each e.g. 12 hours.
              Would there be any significant decrease in the concept of 'random' by this? I don't think so.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
              X