Deletion bug and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deletion bug and Vista

I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 for about 3 months now. And I love Irfanview. I've used it for several years now. But there's a slight bug with Vista that needs to be addressed. It's a minor bug, but an annoying one.

When I'm browsing through pictures (either ones I've taken or ones from online), sometimes I'll go through groups I either have backed up elsewhere or just don't like and want to delete. So I hit DEL and then ENTER to remove them through IView. Unfortunately, if I hit ENTER too soon (as I'm prone to do, because I'm usually in a hurry), then it pops up an error message saying it can't delete the file. It actually does delete the file, but it's not removed from IView's list until I close and reopen it.

One addendum to that bug, is that if I'm running fullscreen while it happens, the Explorer window that I had open with the list of pictures in it will pop up in front of IView's fullscreen window. So I have to ALT+TAB back to the error message first.

Now, you'll obviously state just to slow down when deleting files. And that's a perfectly valid stopgap measure. However, there is a bug there and it needs to be addressed. If I've got about 200 pictures, and there's about 1/3, or more that need to be deleted, I don't want to wait for the message box to come up on each one. It may only be a second or two, but over a number of pictures that starts to add up. And I prefer to delete them directly through IView, because usually I don't want to delete them all, and the ones I do want to delete are intermingled with the ones I want to keep.

If it helps, I find the first one I delete tends to take the longest. And the larger the file size, the longer it takes for the message box to pull up. These aren't massive 20MB or 30MB files either. Most of them range from 200KB to 500KB.

I tried disabling the Nero Indexing service (which I just realized was running as I was typing this), but it makes no difference.

*EDIT*
    Addendum that I forgot to mention. If I hit DEL, and then change my mind and decide not to delete a file, it still pops up with that error that it can't delete the file.
    Last edited by Jito463; 22.09.2007, 04:45 PM.

I can confirm this issue is happening for me too - running 32-bit Vista. Also with Vista SP1 RC applied.

Upgrading to 4.1 did not fix the issue.

Comment

Typically applications are using a Shell function to implement this feature. This function gets a list of files, the operation to do (here delete), and some flags indicating if the user should confirm the delete, if the files should be moved to the trash, ...

So if the application is calling this function it is not responsible for showing dialogs or handling keyboard input during the action. Maybe this function in Vista is now slower than in XP or a virus scanner is involved in checking who is deleting the files.

I don't think there is a lot that can be done by Irfanview to solve your issue.

Comment

Working...
      X