Color Space Aware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Color Space Aware

I am surprised to find out, after doing a search, that no one has requested this. For this exact reason I have downloaded and installed faststone viewer. I have used Irfanview for a long time.

I am hopping Irfanview will have an option in the next version to enable color management and read the embeded ICC profile of tiff and jpeg files like FastStone Viewer does.

Cheers,

Scott

I suppose you have the same ICC profile on your ICC validated monitor? Because if not, you'd better switch off that CMS option in Faststone, after which the program can be (allmost) as fast as IV.

Comment

full ACK - need color space awareness in IV

Originally posted by Scott22 View Post
      I am surprised to find out, after doing a search, that no one has requested this. For this exact reason I have downloaded and installed faststone viewer. I have used Irfanview for a long time.

I am hopping Irfanview will have an option in the next version to enable color management and read the embeded ICC profile of tiff and jpeg files like FastStone Viewer does.
      Full ACK! Although I deinstalled FastStone after a short while because of that rather ugly styling - I really like that IrfanView is as "simple" as it is and don't need much more.

However, I use IV to view the photos I made. Problem is: My camera doesn't "shoot" in sRGB, but in AdobeRGB. This results in the fact that colors are displayed much less saturated than they really are in IV and leads to false corrections or decisions.
      There is the LittleCMS library around, so implementing color space awareness shouldn't be too hard, I guess.

To sum it all up: I need, want and require this feature too!
      Last edited by sunside; 04.10.2007, 02:29 PM. Reason: Added the LittleCMS URL

Comment

Now there's another story! The colorspace of IV is the normal European sRGB. The same as most other viewers. On my system only the Windows standard viewer and Faststone Image Viewer can show your RGB-pictures the proper way. That's why I don't understand you uninstalled Faststone, because it's a very nice viewer, even for RAW files (did you notice the D and the X shortcut?) And didn't you get an Adobe-application with your camera? Something like Elements? Then you could (batch) convert RGB to sRGB I suppose.

Here are shown two pictures: Right: an sRGB. Left: an (uncalibrated) RGB, so other readers will know what we're talking about, providing they view them in IV.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
          That's why I don't understand you uninstalled Faststone, because it's a very nice viewer, even for RAW files (did you notice the D and the X shortcut?)
          Nah, FastStone didn't live long enough on my disk ...

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
          And didn't you get an Adobe-application with your camera? Something like Elements? Then you could (batch) convert RGB to sRGB I suppose.
          Of course I could batch convert anything in the converter. (Btw. my bundled Adobe-application is called "Nikon Capture" *ggg*) But that shouldn't be the solution. (Especially when the target is a print someday) Well, and why should it, everything needed would be color management support in IrfanView. Heck, it could maybe even be a plugin! (Don't know about the API yet)

No, really, I just love IV. But basically everything I do is enter, F, <number> times space, <number> times backspace and ESC, and for that it is small, fast, doesn't need an installation, is EXIF, IPTC and rotation aware - I really don't see the need to use FastStone (and ugh, it IS ugly upon the first start!)
          (Yeah, except for color management that is)

Mucho regards,
          Markus

Edit: Upload spree!
          I also added some more examples comparing IrfanViews rendering versus the color managed one. (To makeit clearer, it really is the same photo opened twice.)

The third screen capture is a direct comparison between AdobeRGB and sRGB to show the differences in available colors. If a color falls in a range that isn't supported in sRGBs smaller gamut (i.e. lies in the gray area in the sRGB plot) it'll get "cropped" to the nearest displayable color (i.e. the inner, colored part of the right plot). This results not only in unsaturated colors, but also in brightness shifts, etc.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sunside; 04.10.2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunside View Post
            No, really, I just love IV.
            Well, that makes to of us.
            Now it must be clear that some form of color managament would be appreciated. On the other hand, when almost all camera branches use the sRGB colorspace, Irfan had better be aware of the future, when probably all camera's will produce the other kind of format: the Adobe .dng format.

Comment

Working...
            X