Nudge selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Nudge selection

With all the things that can be done within a selected area, it would be nice to be able to position a selection with pixel-perfect accuracy. Yes, I know this can be done with the "create custom selection" feature - but one has to change the numbers for the slightest move. A selected area can be used in some very creative ways, for instance to make shadowed text. This requires very accurate shifting of the selection, which is difficult with the mouse. In the attached example, the lower specimen is - to my taste - one pixel off. Terrible! LOL

It would be lovely if a selection could be nudged one way or another by using some combination of keys, like Ctrl+arrow. Then the same selection could be moved quite accurately any number of times without having to open the custom selection dialog each time.

I find myself wanting this more every day.
    Attached Files
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Shadowed text. One of my regular tools. So a big support for this, because it needs accuracy indeed.
    In apps with layers like PSP, there's a dialog for this, where the value of pixel-offset can be entered in any direction.
    So a Ctrl+arrow dialog would be a very elegant function. Maybe even with an option how many pixels are involved in one step.
    And this option could be coupled to the standard function of moving around a selection with R-click, also with such steps.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I support this request. I regulary use Nudge in other applications mostly because dragging with the mouse has a threshold of 2 or more pixels (not in irfanview). Therefore it is impossible to accuarately reposition the object by few px. Or maybe it's just a habbit from the days of inaccurate mechanical mice.

Comment

I've had (what I believe is) a related issue in trying to expand/contract the selection area by only one pixel...when I use mouse, it seems to only do 2 pixels minimum, so I've had to use the numerical dialog method at times, which isn't as effecient.

Comment

To put a hard shadow behind a rectangle is not so difficult as I've shown allready. But what if Irfan should build in a nudge option to reach this hard shadows? Than the IV-users will want to have soft shadows!

I support your request too, matera. Ctrl+arrow for one pixel; Ctrl+Shift+arrow for 10 pixels. This is the way it works in many editing programs. But for me it would be welcome when a selection would be editable after something is pasted into it. The pasted data inside the selection should be able to stretch out or pushed in within the changeable and/or dragable selection until I'd click outside the selection. This is not really userfriendly I'd guess, but it fits in the rather ?raw? approach to graphics (apart from the exellent Resample option in Full screen).

Faststone Image Viewer has a build-in shadow option, but only behind rectangels.
          Attached Files

Comment

Than the IV-users will want to have soft shadows!
            I guess so too. But then we enter the question about layers again.

Apart from the possibility of stretching the pasted data with the selection, I think the primary property for this is to keep the data as part of the selection, so if the selection is moved with R-click, the data is moving with it.
            At the moment it's 'left behind'.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The data at the clipboard could act as a buffer for the content of the selection after pasting. The clipboard data could be recalculated every time the selection is changed. After a click outside the selection, the last calculated pixels could be placed on the workspace (stretched out or shrinked in). No layers needed I'd think.

Some equivalence (of course not really comparable) is to be seen in IrfanPaint, where you can paint inside a selection which protect the workspace around it. After that, you can adjust the selection and paint again within the limited workspace.

Comment

After a click outside the selection, the last calculated pixels could be placed on the workspace (stretched out or shrinked in). No layers needed I'd think.
                Nice suggestion. And indeed no layers needed.

I don't see difference in the IP behaviour. there also the first paint action is not following the selection adjustment in dimension or position.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I soften my shadows by making a selection over the edge and blur. Anyway, with a nudge one could shade in small, even increments - heeheehee

I do incremental shading even without the dainty nudge, then blur, and in less time than it takes to open the GIMP (or that bloatware that other people use) I have a not-so-bad shadow.

But I still want my nudge
                  Attached Files
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Nicely done matera!

Comment

People have done seemingly impossible tasks with MSPAINT also. Very nice.

Comment

Aw, shucks, that was just a quickie
                        I have done some of those impossible MSPaint things. It's still my #1 helper when IV can't go all the way - like transparent pasting.

It has no nudge either...
                        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Matera:
                          I'm a bit of a beginner with IV. Could you go into a little more detail as to how you create the shadow effect? I'm trying to do something similiar with screenshots by adding a drop-shadow to outside of image.

So far, I haven't found an effects filter that would accomplish this.

Thanks,
                          pjstreiff

Comment

The shadow is created by using the Custom Selection feature and a little fooling around. First establish the selection size and position where you want the "framed" image to be. It should be the same size as the image that will be pasted into it. The image to be pasted can be kept open in a second IV window.

To make the shadow:
                            1. apply the selection to the background image
                            2. paste the smaller image into it (this is a temporary placeholder so you can see where to put the shadow)
                            3. move the selection over and down -- the pasted-in image lets you place it correctly
                            4. use the Color corrections dialog (Ctrl+G) to darken the selected area
                            5. drag the selection slightly larger and blur the selected area to soften the edges (Ctrl+E, blur)
                            Now re-apply the custom selection and paste in the image again.

The AFH Fotoframe filter (search, I don't have an URL handy) does a good job, but you have to make sure there is enough extra space around the part of the image that you want framed. My crazy pixel-hack is good for small, precise work -- and for trying the patience.
                            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Going back to your original request, Matera, it is easy enough to drag a selection with pixel precision if you zoom in far enough. It's that old problem of losing the selection every time you zoom that scuppers you though.
                              I often want to extend one side of the box by the odd pixel. Your Nudge feature would not really help me there.

Comment

Working...
                              X