Open (in) new window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Open (in) new window

This was inspired by this thread. I have a few programs that will open a new window from a menu so that I can have two side by side, and web browsers will open a link in a new window if asked to do so. I was thinking that 1. Just opening a second IV window without clicking somewhere else would be handy for image comparisons, but 2. opening something from the thumb browser in a second IV window would be flippin' awesome. Any chance?
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

(Testing done in TC environment)
    If 'Only 1 instance of IrfanView is active' is disabled, you can open a 2nd IV with d-clicking on an associated file.
    So you can compare them via the taskbar buttons.
    But yes, this can't be done in the thumb browser itself.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

That's because IV thumbsviewer doesn't (yet) support drag 'n drop the way it should. That's also the reason I hardly use this IV thumbs program. An IV thumb should be able to be dragged to e.g. a Photoshop workscreen and be dropped there. No Ctrl+C here eighter. It doesn't, so I use TotalCMD (or sometimes Faststone Viewer) to do this job.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
        Opening something from the thumb browser in a second IV window would be flippin' awesome. Any chance?
        Yes. Properties, Misc2, Open with external editor, C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 05.10.2007, 10:54 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks Bhikkhu! Never thought about that. Now maybe I will use IV thumbsview just for serial viewing, using Shift+E. I used to have one extern edit program behind that shortcut, but that wasn't very usefull for me. Until now I multi-started my thumbs from TotalCMD, but thanks anyway for that clever tip.
          Last edited by Sjef; 05.10.2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, I could do that, but then I would lose my ability to open in the GIMP! Which brings me to the next stage, and I suppose I have to start a new thread to whine for multiple external tools. Anyway, I really want to open a different image in IV, not clone the current window. A second window from the thumbviewer is more the thing.

I did think of another workaround though. Right click and open from the Open dialog - a trick I have often used with other apps when I want to see something in the same folder that isn't appropriate for what I have the dialog open from, or just want another window. It works from anything but MS Office and a few other odd things. Not nearly as nice as picking out the image from thumbs, but at least I can get a preview.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Nice unorthodox thinking, Bhikkhu!
              I only use drag 'n drop if I'm forced to, but I don't use the thumbnail section often either.
              At the moment I have several versions of IV running on my system for beta testing.
              So I expanded Bhikkhu's exe-trick, and I can switch now between two versions with the Shift+E setting.
              (until now, I had no external editor defined)
              In the thumbnail view it's possible then to show image1 with version A by d-clicking the file, and starting version B to show image2 by R-click - Open with external editor.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Maybe this message can be added here too. I allways use the next trick when I want more then one image to load into IV in one session: I select the images in TotalCMD (or Explorer) and select ‘Open with IrfanView’ in the Contextmenu (rightmouseclick). This will work nicely when you have a small default window (not all the toolbar-icons on), and the ‘Fitted to window’ option checked.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, can't reproduce this trick.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I forgot to add that you must divide the windows over the screen yourself off course. This dividing isn't part of the ‘trick’ unfortunately.

Comment

Shortcut for open in New Window (Ctrl N) was added some while ago.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                      X