Reopening IrfanView while 1 instance checked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Reopening IrfanView while 1 instance checked

I'm using IrfanView v4.00 with option to have only 1 instance per time, but instead of reloading image IrfanView closes the previous instance and load new one (slower than just reloading). I think this is a bug or probably this can go in the "Future suggestion" forum.

I wonder how you worked out that it is slower. Did you actually time it? As far as I can tell, Irfan View loads instantly — certainly less than a second. Some very large images may take 5 or 10 seconds — my largest image loads in 2,296 milliseconds. So I wonder why you think this would make any noticable difference at all to the performance of IV?

If you're working with large images in one instance, try drag and drop from Windows Explorer to Irfan View. That will stop the program from drawing a new window while it loads the second image.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I can't use a stopwatch for checkint the times, but logically it's slower. Because it's closed then opened with the new image, using the same window will be faster for sure.

Comment

Slow is the wrong expression. It's just more actions.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I think even if the other (new) instance would be invisible, the program should still read from disk and start normally. Only then, instead of displaying the image, it would pass control to the previous instance.

Maybe you could navigate your pictures using the arrow buttons on toolbar or use the internal file manager (thumbnails viewer) to speed things up..

Comment

When you use the thumb viewer, it does re-use the window. I prefer to open one image after another that way, assuming that they are not adjacent in the file hierarchy, because
            1. I don't want a single instance anyway
            and 2. I think he's right, and it is visually unsettling - never mind the speed or lack of it.

The single-instance mode is all right under some circumstances, but I think it makes better sense to use the thumb viewer if you want smooth window re-use. The act of opening an image from a file manager is just that - opening an image, opening a window with an image in it. That means opening a new window whether or not the old one is closed manually or not. It is the shell command that matters here. Blame Windwoes.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Right on. ...
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Just for the record, there is one other rather elegant way to open in IV with no window fipflop. Florian Balmer's Metapath can be set up for any target application, and so one can open files in IV with one click without starting a new window even if "single instance" is not chosen. I have been using Metapath with Universal Viewer, but thinking about leaving it switched to IrfanView now.

Metapath is - alas - no longer developed and supported, but I will love it and work it until it falls dead in some Micro$oft holocaust - excuse me, upgrade.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Nice little tools there btw.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I have a similar problem so I would very much like IV not to open a new instance when opening new files from Explorer.

Please see this post: http://irfanview-online.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3609

Comment

Working...
                    X