Lossless JPG and Cropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Lossless JPG and Cropping

Hi - I'd like to suggest more support for loss-less JPG. Rather than have it as a plugin, with a separate menu, I'd like to see it fully integrated in IrfanView, especially its Batch operations. I don't understand why lossless is not the standard, rather than an option! Why would anyone WANT to add more distortion?!

Also, I'd like to see the addition of lossless jpg cropping - see the following for further details:

http://jpegclub.org/

Apparently the source code of Jpegcrop is freely available for software developers who wish to add lossless JPEG cropping to their software, and is already incorporated in a number of applications.

It would also be nice to see a constant readout (on the status bar) of the new image size whilst dragging the proposed crop size, as I need to make sure that the new image isn't going to go below a certain size.

Regarding fixed aspect-ratio cropping: I realise that if I press Control whilst dragging an edge, the aspect ratio is maintained, but why not just do the same thing by dragging the corner of the marquee, as other programs do?

Regards, Tim Makins
    IrfanView Registered User

Originally posted by TimMakins View Post
    ...Also, I'd like to see the addition of lossless jpg cropping - see the following for further details: http://jpegclub.org/
    Would be nice!
    It would also be nice to see a constant readout (on the status bar) of the new image size whilst dragging the proposed crop size, as I need to make sure that the new image isn't going to go below a certain size.
    Don't you see it in the top (caption) bar? I do.
    Regarding fixed aspect-ratio cropping: I realise that if I press Control whilst dragging an edge, the aspect ratio is maintained, but why not just do the same thing by dragging the corner of the marquee, as other programs do?
    I Agree. And instead of a magnifying-glass cursor (after making a selection) I'd like to see a cross cursor with which I could move the selection. But that's IV, a piece of selfwilled-ware.

Comment

I don't agree that lossless cropping should be incorporated into general purpose image editor. JPEGCrop already does a good job. There is another tool that attempts to recode only the modified blocks: Better JPEG.

How would you switch between lossless (limited) and normal modes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
        And instead of a magnifying-glass cursor (after making a selection) I'd like to see a cross cursor with which I could move the selection. But that's IV, a piece of selfwilled-ware.
        But left click zooms into the selection so why would you expect to see a cross cursor? Try right-click, and that is what you do see — a four arrowed cursor with which you can move the selection.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          But left click zooms into the selection so why would you expect to see a cross cursor? Try right-click, and that is what you do see ? a four arrowed cursor with which you can move the selection.
          If Sjef is just asking for the left and right click functions to be interchanged I would vote for that in a flash. The times I have clicked inside while trying to clear a selection and zoomed instead...maddening.

Comment

Perhaps Click to zoom into selection is a feature of a viewer (instead of an editor). ACDSee also works this way.

Comment

To Bhikkhu: all other graphical editing programs show the cross cursor after making a selection, so the user can SEE (intuitively) what you can do with the selection. Same as when moving the cursor to the selection lines (loupe cursor changes into arrow cursor). And because of the missing angular editing points I thought I ought to write: ...that's IV, a piece of selfwilled-ware.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                Perhaps Click to zoom into selection is a feature of a viewer (instead of an editor). ACDSee also works this way.
                It hasn't always been a feature of IV. I just looked at v3.00 (on a floppy disk), and that didn't have it. You could left click inside or outside the selection and immediately start to redraw another box in those days.
                I don't object to the feature, just the button used. Everything else about the selection box is done with the left mouse button - you draw the selection, adjust the sides, or erase the box by clicking outside it. But to drag the box you have to switch to the right button. My logic says you use the left button for doing things to the selection box and the right button to do things to the image - drag it or zoom it.

Comment

Holding an extra key down?
                  Stuart Halliday

Comment

Lossless JPEG Crop is in v4.10. I'm not happy about it though and will probably not use it. In IrfanView it's not possible to make an exact crop selection. JPEGs can be cut in blocks of 8x8 or 16x16 pixels (with color subsampling). But in Irfan you can't see exactly how many pixels more or less will be cropped before performing the actual operation.

The rotate in IrfanView is also not very useful. When you have rotated a JPEG and click Ok the chosen orientation will be saved. Next time when you just want to repack another file you might rotate it by accident. It's not acceptable since incomplete macroblocks (8x8,16x16) if there are any will be dropped and the file data could never be restored by performing rotate again.

I still think that lossless operations in the compressed domain should be done in separate program, the same as it is with MP3. General purpose audio editors don't and shouldn't do it.

Comment

I've used a graphics program (on RISC OS) in the past that allowed lossless cropping and it presented the user with a resizeable selection grid that jumps in 8x8 or 16x16 pixels steps so the user gets an accurate view of the crop.
                      Worked very well.
                      I see no reason why IrfanView couln'td do this when a key is pressed during a selection.
                      Stuart Halliday

Comment

Working...
                      X