HP's .pvm files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested HP's .pvm files

I found your site by looking for a way to open HP's .pvm files that are holding my pictures hostage! Maybe this file extension can be included in the new version. Upon searching the net, I found that I am not hardly alone with this problem, and no one can access their pictures. It appears HP's new software that comes with their cameras, printers, and all in one printers, this file extension gets stuck on picture files at random, without knowledge, and makes it impossible to retreive your pictures again. Your program would make it possible to open and save them in another format, that actually works. One person online took her puter in to pay to have her pictures found on her hard drive! Sheesh!
    Thank you.

Little chance I'm afraid. Obviously this is a format protected by HP.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Another hard lesson about using proprietary software that comes with hardware

I think you should do a thorough search of your computer. It seems that the PVM files do not contain the images, but are "albums" - databases for the HP viewer/organizer. The actual images are stored...somewhere. Look for a massive number of JPG files. Get aquainted with your file system while you're at it.

The actual content of a PVM should be readable in a text editor, so you might try dragging one into Notepad to interrogate it

IMHO all photo organizing sofware is evil. Anything that presents you with an "album" but leaves you in total ignorance of your files' actual whereabouts should be shunned with a flamethrower.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Right on. Nice analysis.
        I've learned to skip the software added on a cd-rom with some hardware first, before checking what's there.
        First protection for this is to disable cd-rom autorun to avoid being installed with all kinds of nonsense.
        As matera says, a complete file system view is enough to choose which drivers one needs to load, and which tools
        are to be integrated or not. And will find your actual bitmaps.
        If I see the word 'organizer' I get suspicious already.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
        X