Mutex "overwrite" and "delete original"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Mutex "overwrite" and "delete original"

I just did something stupid. When processing a pile of pictures in batch mode, I inadvertently checked both the "overwrite existing files" and the "delete original files after conversion" options. This of course resulted in an empty directory. Luckily I was working on a copy of my pictures, so nothing is lost.

Would it be possible to replace the check boxes with a radio button so as to have a mutual exclusion on these options or to issue at least a warning when both are set?

Regards,
    G.

(PS: Version used was 4.00)

These two options have different purposes, and you may sometimes need to check them both, though never if the output folder is the same as the input folder. Say, for example, you're converting some TIF images in C:\My Pictures\ TIFF\ to JPG images in C:\My Pictures\JPEG\

First you do a few test runs with "Overwrite existing file" checked. You keep using the same option until you're satisfied with the results. Then in the final batch run you check the option "Delete original file after conversion."

However, you still want the existing output (JPG) files to be overwritten.

If you're cropping, cropping, or adjusting colours on the TIF images and want to output them to the same directory, still in TIFF format, only then might you want the options to be mutually exclusive.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Let's focus on the first sentence which was the basic reason of my post:

These two options have different purposes, and you may sometimes need to check them both, though never if the output folder is the same as the input folder.
      I fully understand I should not do this and I know it was my mistake. I only believe a little warning or even a function blocking would help me (and others) to avoid making this type of mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwened View Post
        I only believe a little warning or even a function blocking would help me (and others) to avoid making this type of mistakes.
        What you said was that they should be made mutually exclusive, with radio buttons instead of checkboxes. However, this is only going to work in the unlikely event that the user wishes to use both the same output directory and the same output format. In every other case that I can think of, checkboxes are preferable.

I think that what you ask for would need much more than a simple redesign of the dialogue. I wonder if you read this note in the help file:
        Please be very carefully when you use rename and first test your options with dummy files; batch rename can be very powerful = dangerous! Using bad name pattern, combined with options like Move/Rename original/input files and/or Overwrite existing files, you can, under special circumstances, remove all input/original files! Please do not use these options, until you REALLY know what you are doing.
        I don't think Irfan could have made it any clearer. If one adds warning dialogues at every stage the program becomes unusable for the advanced user. Less experienced users should always output to a temporary directory, and then copy files from Windows Explorer when they are sure the results are what were wanted. I still do it that way, even though I am an experienced PC user.

Of course, you're right that it makes no sense to delete the original files if the output directory and the output file type is the same as the input file type, but I think that this would be hard to do without a complete redesign of the dialogue. Simply making the two options mutually exclusive will cripple the program as it prevent the user from cleaning up at the same time as convering. And if a warning dialogue is added, "Are you sure" but the user says "Yes (of course I'm sure, I checked that option didn't I?)" then the result is the same.

As the program is now, you can use different input file types and JPG as the output file type. If you say, "Don't delete original files if the input file type is the same as the output file type" then it starts to get very complicated.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X