Animated GIF does not 'play' correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animated GIF does not 'play' correctly

I have created an animated gif made with Microsoft Gif Animator. It consists in a static first page and a series of small pages giving the animation. The intended effect is a moving scrollbar.

It played correctly in IV until I switched over to 4.00. Now, the animated part is shown in a different position.

In other viewers the gif animates fine. File is included.

Dutch
    Attached Files

Hi Dutch,

I downloaded your image and saved it to my disk. At first, IrfanView showed the blue rectangles of the progression bar in the middle of the A letter.
    After that, I did nothing else than opening it with the Gimp and saving it as an animated GIF. IrfanView displayed the new animated image perfectly. Here is the new file.

Laurent
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hello,

I have the same problem with some of my animated GIF:
      This image:

Appears like that:

And a lot of my GIF collection have thoses animation artefacts.

Boita

Comment

Hummm ... FWIW ..
        Just noticed that my Avatar does not play the same in Irfanview .. Image n Fax viewer ... or Photoshop.
        Irfanview seems to mess it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
          I downloaded your image and saved it to my disk. At first, IrfanView showed the blue rectangles of the progression bar in the middle of the A letter.
          After that, I did nothing else than opening it with the Gimp and saving it as an animated GIF. IrfanView displayed the new animated image perfectly. Here is the new file.
          You are not understanding the problem, Laurent. DutchGemini pointed a problem in IrfanView, not in the animated GIF! The animated GIF plays fine on browsers and other viewers, including IV 3.99 and previous versions. What you did, by opening the GIF in GIMP and saving it was replacing the image's original frames by a set that does not show new IV's problem. Thus, you didn't solve the problem, you screwed everything by hiding it!

The problem is this: IV 4.00 is ignoring the frames offsets! An animated GIF has many frames, which are read in sequence and printed on screen. Each frame may have its own palette, size and position on screen. Most GIF we find in the Net are made of equal sized/positioned/paletted frames, so new IV doesn't show up its bug. But when we get an optimized GIF, for example, in which every frame contains only what is different from the previous display composition, IV 4.00 messes up, by placing the smaller frame at (0,0), instead of its proper position (where the new frame differs from the previous composition).

The solution is pretty simple, just check the GIF display routine and add each frame's offset to every pixel of that frame before plotting.

Comment

Hi Cyberknight,

Thanks for your explanations.

Laurent
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

So is this offset-positioning problem a feature or a bug`?

This really annoys me.

Comment

There is an Animated GIF fix available

There is a bug with displaying SOME animated GIFs with IV v4.0.
                If the multiple underlays of images are not the same size as the first image, or if they are not all registered to the exact same point, you will see the multi-images not redrawing properly.

This BUG has been corrected by Irfan, but not well reported, nor made automatically available in the latest release of the current IV version. (I wish I knew why! Irfan says that this is just a test fix, but I have been using it for over a month and I see nothing wrong with it.)

The fix is to replace the installed "i_view32.exe" in your IV installation folder.

I tried to attach that "i_view.exe" in a Zip file, as I have received it from Irfan, but I was not able to, since the Zip file is 423kB. That is more than the Zip file limit I am allowed to attach.

Here is the link that Irfan sent me, when I originally downloaded it from. I am giving this link in case Irfan updates the current fix.

Good luck, and if you find any other problems displaying GIFs please report the issue either to Irfan or somewhere here in this forum.
                Last edited by ChuckE; 25.06.2007, 02:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a title
                I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

I only followed this topic so far, but now there is this fixed version.
                  So, before downloading this, I now checked the GIF placed by DutchGemini. Nothing was wrong.
                  Do I need this fix anyway ?
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    I only followed this topic so far, but now there is this fixed version.
                    So, before downloading this, I now checked the GIF placed by DutchGemini.

Nothing was wrong.
                    Do I need this fix anyway ?
                    I don't know what you are looking at, or from where you downloaded from, so I just went through the steps again. I thought maybe someone had corrected the installation files, so I first removed my fixed version (all the files) and then went out and downloaded, and installed, again. I went through this FIVE times, from 5 different download sites:

1st from Tucows, the one located in an Arizona, USA site, the
                    2nd from Fileforum, the
                    3rd from TechSpot, the
                    4th from FreewareArchiv (install was in German), and the
                    5th from AEIComputerTech.

In each test I first removed the installed IV files, and installed the setup from one of those five sites.
                    I then opened that same image that DutchGemini provided above.
                    I then saw that the GIF was not displaying properly.
                    I then installed the fix, which is nothing more than just replacing the "i_view32.exe" file with the fixed version.
                    In each case the fix corrected the display.

So, my guess is that you are mis-understanding just what the GIF from DutchGemini is supposed to look like, or that you are just downloading the "Attached Thumbnail" on the Forum page (which is static, and does not display animation), and not the one located at the IV attachment archive: http://irfanview-online.com/vb/attac...6&d=1181207632

So, I have attached here a snap of my screen with three instances of viewing the GIF, all snapped at the same time. In one part you can see that I have the attachment website opened with IE, my note says that the bar (partially in view) is in motion. In another part I have the GIF opened and the option to center images is on. The third part I have the GIF opened and the center images is not on. I did that "view center" option both ways since it changes the position of the blinking bar part position, that perhaps you are not noticing.

If I were to but an animated test here, I would have placed one that is VERY OBVIOUS that the GIF animation was screwed up.
                    In fact, I will ... I also will attach a file called "binary0-9.gif" here. Check that one out. It should show as a learning tool for seeing how binary numbers sequence in a count from 0 to 9. Check it out. If the "GIF animation bug" is there, it should be very obvious.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Give me some time here to consider all this. But I did downloaded the archive attachment, and saw the animation.
                      The binary sequence tool looks great.
                      Do I miss something here ? Is this about a net-browser representation ?
                      Last edited by Sam_Zen; 25.06.2007, 07:07 AM.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sorry I don't understand your confusion.
                        The animation (the flipping of switches, the changing of binary digits, the counting of numbers from 0 to 9 and then back to 0, etc.) should properly show via a web browser, such as IE. Whether or not it shows properly correctly in any web browser is up to the web browser and has nothing to do with IrfanView. I only have provided it to give anyone the proper idea of what the animation is.

IrfanView, v4.0, as currently available on at least 5 of the current download sites linked on the www.irfanview.com website, have a version that does not correctly handle that GIF animation when using IV to view the GIF file (not in any web browser). There is a real reason that bug exists, and was acknowledged by Irfan and corrected with his existing fix file.

If you are not experiencing the GIF animation issue then you either do not have v4.0, or you have the fixed i_view32.exe file. To verify simply install the current v4.0 on top of your existing IV installation.

To even eliminate the possible confusion of multiple, concurrent IV installs, I suggest that you remove your current install first. Then check to see that you can NOT open IV; then install IV v4.0 again, and look at my binary counting GIF animation again.

Other than that, I have no other ideas why you seem to be the only one not experiencing the GIF animation bug with v4.0.

edited by steve: See a corrected version of irfanview in the attachment. Thanks for chuckE for reporting that to Irfan !
                        Attached Files

Comment

I tried the bugfixed version on some other gifs with display problems, and the difference was amazing.
                          Its: Belongs to "It"
                          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                          ---------------------
                          Lose: Fail to keep
                          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I'm sorry. I just tried to respond testing this issue, and found nothing was wrong.
                            But to be sure, I overwrote the exe with the fixed one.
                            OT : It would be nice to have a version of the Binary 0-9 example expanded to 0-15, to explain hexadecimal.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                              It would be nice to have a version of the Binary 0-9 example expanded to 0-15, to explain hexadecimal.
                              I have one, and it was the GIF that I wanted to place here first, but the size limitations prevented me. It is about 25k, but the limit for a GIF is just under 20k. Sorry.

BTW: you really meant to say from 0 to F (not 15).

I'll place the "binary0-F" as a Zip file here. It isn't the format I wanted for the display here, but at least you can have the file you wanted.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ChuckE; 26.06.2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X