X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

browse text files

hello

consider "Windows Picture Viewer"

it opens the image files inside a folder and browses throught them by hitting ENTER

hitting DELETE deletes the currently viewed file

is there a program to do this for TXT files?

Text files will open in notepad or whatever program you associate with the TXT extension.

Irfan View will view Text files as an image. If text files are not associated with it, it can still be made to view text files in this way when they are in the same directory as the image files.

Go to Properties, Extensions, and check Load custom file types:
    Load default extensions will view only image file types, but you can append "|TXT" to that list to view Text files too when browsing directories from Irfan View, either with the toolbar buttons, the left/right cursor keys, or a scroll-wheel mouse.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I did what you said but it didnt work

I added the LOG extension but I get "file not found or unknown format" error

Comment

I find the same with LOG files, but you said TXT files, and it works OK with those.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

look what I have in "Properties"

and what error I get when I try to open a LOG file

can you tell me please whats wrong?

Comment

Not all LOG files are plain text, can you open that one in Notepad?

My favorite text browser is Textview - http://www.flos-freeware.ch/archive.html No longer being updated, alas, but still very handy for browsing folders of anything. It peeks into any file, including mystery-meat stuff in a browser cache.

Speaking of caches - I have a shortcut that opens the I-V thumb browser in my browser cache, handy for catching images that I wanted to save but forgot.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

yes, I can open it in Notepad, its plain text

can Textview do what I mention in the first post?

Comment

Hi user,

Indeed, IrfanView doesn't open a text file with a .LOG extension. But all .LOG files are not always pure text, as matera wrote. Anyway, for IrfanView, LOG is not equivalent to TXT. The problem for you is that IrfanView doesn't know what kind of format a .LOG file is.
                I believe that IrfanView relies on the extension to know how to display a file (in other words, it recognizes a text file after its TXT extension, and not after its content). If it knowns the extension then it checks that the content matches the extension. If not, it gives a warning.
                So the only workaround I can suggest is to rename your files: "myfile.log" -> "myfile.txt" or "myfile.log.txt".

Laurent
                Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

2 Laurent
                  Your suggestion is right, but i would like to advice using "myfile_log.txt", because in some circumstances, having 2 dots in a filename can cause trouble in some syntax.

I checked the log-files on my system, and most of them are plain text, a few not.
                  A way to check this, is with Total Commander - F3.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

thanks

if there any other way to do it? the LOG files are thousands and I wouldnt like to rename them (there will be confusion)

Comment

Try an enhanced ascii editor like Editpad Lite as replacement for notepad, where you can assign the extension *.log too.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                      X