irfan update feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested irfan update feature?

well, irfan is a great multimedia viewer, but i think it's missing a very important feature for nowadays programs, where is the "update" feature?

I guess it will come one day. Meanwhile, subscribe to be notified of updates at Download.com
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't need an update feature at all.
      I'm alert enough to check for the new versions.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I regularly visit http://www.freeware-guide.com/html/updates.html
        - and, of course, this forum. I had the new version downloaded before I checked my e-mail and saw the announcement

Updating by a program itself is a "feature" that I put up with if I absolutely have to. There are some that are so rude that they stop working!
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I get updates notifications via my email, but i thought it would be lovely to have it, maybe not now, somewhere down the road i hope.
          Last edited by McDragon; 22.10.2007, 12:50 AM.

Comment

IrfanView or any other program for that matter should never talk to the internet automatically and get & execute stuff automatically. The most unintrusive way of 'update' would be a dialog where the current version number is displayed and maybe a download link too. IV should get this information only when a command under Help menu is executed.

Comment

Yeah. I just got yelled at by a program that I hardly use - somehow accidentally triggered it and it tells me that it must be updated.
              Last edited by matera; 22.10.2007, 01:44 AM.
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

2 7jn
                Right on.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Good Idea for beginners

I think that this is a wonderful idea! I've recommended IrfanView to many people, many of whom aren't very computer savvy. They would definitely benefit from this feature.

Comment

I can't see any reason to deny the privilege to the needy. It can save time over surfing for updates, and anything that makes it easier for the unsavvy to use IV is probably not a bad thing. As long as those of us who don't need our hands held can turn it off (lol ). So, at the end, I can vote "yes"
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hmm. No disaster if this option would be added, as long as I can switch it off anyway.
                      Then, I'm afraid, "update on" will be the default when IV is first installed.
                      So I'm the one who is forced to be alert..
                      Not the newcomer, who imo is supposed to still learn about how to handle IrfanView.

Strange, nobody complaints about cars not being 'user-friendly'. One accepts the time of many lessons to get a license.
                      You want to drive a truck too? More time to spend for another study again.
                      But on a PC .. Well.. "Easy-go" is the magic term. The demand for this indeed seems to have become a rightful privilege.
                      Sorry if this went OT.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I'm in favor of update notifications if automatic check can be disabled, and users may check manually if they wish.

Comment

Manual Check for Updates added to Project List
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                          X