Option to disable scroll wheel next/prev but not next/prev buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Option to disable scroll wheel next/prev but not next/prev buttons

I think Irfanview is great but it really bugs me that I keep losing my place by accidentally using the scroll wheel, which leaves me looking at a completely different image.

Because the scroll wheel is also used to move to a different part of an image that's bigger than the current window, I quite often use it by mistake. I also accidentally use it when I want to zoom in, quite often. Irfanview scrolls through images so fast that I'm then just left looking at a randomly selected image, and have trouble finding my way back to the one I was trying to look at.

The only way this can be turned off, at the moment, is to untick "View all files in directory.." in Misc 1 options. Unfortunately, that leaves me with no way to move to the next image at all. The next and previous buttons on the tool bar don't work if I untick that.

It would be very useful if that "View all files in directory.." option could be split into two parts, or just changed to:

"View all files in directory using scroll wheel"

I can't see any reason to disable the next/prev buttons on the toolbar as they're not likely to be pressed by accident.

I've just installed 4.10 and I see it's still the same, in that respect.

If you set the View, Display Option, to "Fit Image to Window" this is a lot easier to use. Then scroll-wheel will not be used to scroll individual images and Control Zoom will still zoom the image in or out.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's true. and I do that already.

However, I still do zoom images in and out, and need to move around in them, and I still do use the scroll wheel function by accident, and lose the image I'm looking at.

This is the only thing I don't like about Irfanview. It makes using it a struggle. If the scroll wheel could be made not to do that (e.g. via a Misc option), and the Next and Previous buttons still worked, it would be a lot easier to use.

I don't see the scrolling through images function as being at all useful because it's just too fast. If it could be slowed down so you needed a bigger movement of the scroll wheel, that would be much better.

I mostly use a touchpad which makes the problem even more exaggerated. The slightest touch on the scroll bar area of the pad means I'm looking at a different image and wondering how to get the other one back again. As it scrolls so quickly, scrolling again to get it back isn't really an option. I just end up looking at a different randomly chosen image.

Comment

Then it would be better to turn off directory browsing and use the Thumbnail browser for browsing instead. Just double-click a thumbnail to load a different image.

Its not that I have any problem with this Feature Request, but since a new version has just been released you could wait a very long time for this to happen — probably six months at least.

Version 4.10 (Release date: 2007-10-15)
        Version 4.00 (Release date: 2007-04-23)
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Actually, we had this conversation before, in June, but I didn't post it in feature requests:

I find the thumbnail view useful for selecting files for a batch job, but that's all I use it for. Switching to Thumbnails while viewing an image isn't all that smooth a process. There doesn't seem to be any cacheing going on there either because it takes just as long to load the thumbnails the second time.

Comment

Incidentally, if I'm looking at an image and press Alt-F T (Thumbnails), it works the first time but if I select a new image, then do it again, it doesn't work unless I do it twice. I then have to keep doing it twice for each subsquent switch to thumbnails.

EDIT:

I've just verified that the same bug happens if I select the menu item using the mouse instead of keyboard shortcuts.
            Last edited by Andy2No; 16.10.2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I second the motion1

Hi,
              I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a way to do what is being requested.... including an option to disable the scroll wheel from scrolling through images.

I love Irfanview and must use it pretty much every day (well it is my default viewer) but I'll admit that if one more time I do some editing of an image, then let my finger move the scroll wheel only to suddenly find that the work is gone and I'm looking at a completely different image, I'm reasonably sure my head will explode.

It does seem odd that the scroll wheel scrolls up and down when there's a scroll bar, but doesn't scroll to the next image when the scrollbar reaches the bottom. Yet if there's no scroll bar it's behavior is different.

Anyway, thanks for a great program, and I look forward to the possibility of not losing so many edits sometime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2No View Post
                Incidentally, if I'm looking at an image and press Alt-F T (Thumbnails), it works the first time but if I select a new image, then do it again, it doesn't work unless I do it twice. I then have to keep doing it twice for each subsquent switch to thumbnails.
                Pressing T toggles the thumbnail window both on and off (and you don't need to press Alt-F first). If you open the Thumbnails using T and double click one of them to display an image in the main window, then Thumbnails remains open but it is now behind the main window - that is why you can't see it. You can bring it back to the front using Alt-Tab. Pressing T twice is just turning Thumbnails Off and then On again. It does bring it back to the front but, as you have seen, the penalty of having turned it off is that all the thumbnails have to be redrawn.

Comment

I too am forever accidentally scrolling the mouse wheel causing the next image in the folder to be displayed, usually I do it just after I've spent some time editing photograph

Please could an option to either disable the mouse scroll wheel or to display a dialogue box warning that changes were about to be lost be added to IrfanView.

Comment

Why not open a copy of the image for editing in another instance of IrfanView? Select the image, Copy, Start IrfanView, Paste. Now you shouldn't be able to browse while editing in the one instance, and your other instance is still browsable. You can make it a little easier by making a shortcut, or better yet making it an external editor:

C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe "/clippaste /title="%1""

Now, you must realize that some functionality will be missing when working on a non-file. However, Save should still actually work because you are theoretically working in the same directory!

Comment

I support this request ++
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I am going to jump in and support Andy2No's original request. After all this time I don't think anyone has come up with an acceptable way of avoiding the problem. IMHO this dual use of the mouse button is too confusing.

I find Home, End, Page Up and Page Down invaluable for fast scrolling so I always uncheck that verbose Option in Misc 1 "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (if vertical scrollbar visible)" .
                        I would be quite happy for those words in brackets to be dropped so that Page keys or Mouse wheel were never used for jumping to next image if I uncheck the option. There are enough other ways of moving on to next or previous images without them.
                        Just leave the confusion to those who like to keep the option checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          I always uncheck that verbose Option in Misc 1 "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (if vertical scrollbar visible)" .
                          I would be quite happy for those words in brackets to be dropped so that Page keys or Mouse wheel were never used for jumping to next image if I uncheck the option. There are enough other ways of moving on to next or previous images without them.
                          Just leave the confusion to those who like to keep the option checked.
                          That would leave only two ways to browse. Toolbar arrow buttons and Space/Backspace. Keyboard arrow keys would still do both browsing/scrolling?

What confusion? If you enable your new option Mij, it will always jump; disabled, it won't. The confusion is when you disable it the way it is now.

I support this even though I like the old option sometimes. The usual nerve racking put me over.

Comment

OK Skippybox, confusion was the wrong word to use in my last line. I should have said annoyance, the annoyance that the OP suffers when he accidentally nudges the scroll wheel and moves on several images. If you have spent some time carefully editing an image of course, annoyance becomes frustration.

The "Jump to next image ......" option, when unchecked, does prevent that happening some of the time, when a scroll bar is visible, but not when you are zoomed in enough for both scroll bars to have disappeared. Then the scroll wheel reverts to its normal (annoying?) image changing function as do the fast scroll keys Home, End, Page Up and Page Down. That is what I still call "too confusing".

We have to learn to live with dual function of the arrow keys but there is a limit to how far you can go with dual functionality. I maintain there should be one setting for people who do a lot of browsing (option checked) and another for those who do a lot of scrolling (option unchecked) and leave it at that. That way the option unchecked would also satisfy the request made by Andy2No.

Comment

I guess I am confused now, because when you said drop the words in brackets, I thought you meant drop the functionality too. I thought if engaged, the page keys and wheel would always jump, regardless of scrollbar visibility. If disengaged, the page keys and wheel would never jump, regardless of scrollbar visibility. But, you keep saying there is a confusion or annoyance still, with having your revised option checked. This I don't understand. It seems simple. Are you saying that having your option would still offer the annoying behavior? I don't see how you could be annoyed if you chose to enable it, and expect it to perform that way. Why would you have enabled it then?
                              Last edited by Skippybox; 05.03.2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X