This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanPaint Support Thread

Since the previous thread was becoming too long and the first posts were no longer useful, here's the new thread about IrfanPaint, the painting plug-in for IrfanView. Post here your doubts, suggestions and bugreports about IP .
    Last edited by MItaly; 16.04.2008, 02:47 PM. Reason: Link correction
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Matteo ... first of all congrats on the release

Secondly ... Thank you for mentioning all of us in the "About / Special Thanks"

And thirdly ... as you mentioned in your original thread, I got the latest build from your site ... the thing is that while the version that comes with IV is about 75KB, this one is 140KB. Does this have to do with upx..ing the file?

Fourth ... well, it was talked about earlier ... the loss of clarity while fine rotating! Yes, I know you are aware of the loss the picture undergoes with each operation, however, I was wondering if it cannot be fixed, would it be possible for you to use the same principle you use for the "Eraser"??? That is, keep the original picture in memory, and also keep in memory the degree to which the rotation is done ... If the user rotates the picture once and then does it again, calculate the net effect rotated and use that calculation on the image originally stored in memory! If a paint operation or any other operation is done, the image in memory is updated to the one after such operation! .... was I clear :-s

Cheers!

Comment

1 & 2: Thank you
      3: yes, the dll of my site is not compressed, while the one shipped with IV is UPXed.
      4: it's a good idea, I'll work on that.
      IrfanPaint developer

Comment

MItaly,

Thank you again for this plugin. It's amazing what capability you have added to IrfanView, and still have a very simple (to us!) interface.

I am having some problem however, with the newest versions. I'm using IV 4.10 with your updated '.48 dll from here, on WinXPsp2. On two machines, my laptop and my desktop, if I'm in anything but 100% view, IrfanPaint seems to cause a strange resolution "flash" when you use the paintbrush tool, eraser, and fill tool on an image. It doesn't happen at 100%, and it doesn't happen with the line and polygon tools.

I've got "resample for fitting" checked in the dropdown menu, and Resample selected on the Full Screen tab in the properties dialog.

I don't remember this happening in older versions, but I'm curious if it has something to do with the fix you must have implemented to allow IrfanPaint to show its edits for any screen condition. The earliest betas would not show the edits unless you were in 100% resolution.

Also when in that condition, and even with a relatively small jpg image, whenever I use the paintbrush or eraser or fill tool, after I let go of the mouse button, the hourglass appears and there is a significant period of time when iv and ip are unresponsive. It looks like some massive calculation going on. This doesn't happed in 100% view.

Hope this is clear enough. I have to believe there are others who have noticed this.

Please let me know if I have missed some setting that may have cause this.

Thanks again.

Jon

Comment

As often Microsoft says, "this behavior is by design". IrfanPaint, when the image is not zoomed at 100%, asks to IV to redisplay the edited portion of the image whenever a change is applied to the image (when the image is zoomed at 100% IP draws the changes by itself, since it is much simpler). You understand that when you're drawing freehand the image changes very quickly, even more times in a second; if the user selected the resample option IV would have to resample the image a lot of times to display every change - but this is not doable, since the edit would be very slow. Thus we added a function that temporarily disable the resample option when the user is drawing freehand, so the changes can be displayed very quickly; when the user stops drawing (releasing the mouse button) the resample option is reactivated, so IV has to resample the image (a CPU-intensive operation signaled by the hourglass). Since this can be confusing for the user I'm planning to add an option (that the user may enable or disable) that disables the resample option for all the time that the IrfanPaint toolbar is opened.
          IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just had not noticed the behavior before. No problem.

Jon

Comment

Hurrah!

2 MItaly
              Yep. Congrats with your first release of a very nice and thorough job.

Well, the speed issue.. You gave a very crisp explanation about the steps of the procedure.
              Let's not forget, we're working with a calculator, and the more formula's are involved in a chosen process, the more time it will take, no matter how fast the clockspeed. A property which the user has to accept. Fast moving of the mouse while cloning or painting tubes in PSP also takes significant time to refresh the image.
              So I consider a possible resample option on/off as a luxury one.

Since this is now the new thread concerning all aspects of IrfanPaint, I would suggest some kind of convention about the posting.
              Which could be explained in a sticky.
              Like asking the posters to use leading strings in a subject-title, like [REQ] or [BUG].
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

FloodFill

Hi,
                The paint tool is neat.

I am having problems with the FloodFill not working, Any suggestions.

Thank you,

BLerner

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                  2 MItaly
                  Since this is now the new thread concerning all aspects of IrfanPaint, I would suggest some kind of convention about the posting.
                  Which could be explained in a sticky.
                  Like asking the posters to use leading strings in a subject-title, like [REQ] or [BUG].
                  Good idea.
                  Originally posted by blerner View Post
                  Hi,
                  I am having problems with the FloodFill not working, Any suggestions.
                  Not working = ?
                  Are you sure that you're trying to fill areas that are of the exactly same color? Consider that the floodfill function actually does not have tolerance, thus filling JPEGs may be very difficult because of the artifacts.
                  IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Floodfill Help

I agree, I can't get FloodFill to work either. I have no experience with paint tools, so I don't know what they can and can't do or how to achieve the effects I desire. Is there a link that defines and describes what each tool does and how? For instance, what is the part about exactly the same color? I think that is what I'm doing, but as I said, it's not working for me.

I click on the FloodFill icon, but then can't get it to do anything. Apparently I'm doing something wrong. Help please.

Comment

As said above, if the area is not one colour the flood fill will not fill surrounding colours. It has no tolerance setting. Click on the ? below the flood fill to get exhaustive help on mouse-over of each tool. The flood-fill tooltip says:

The flood-fill tool is used to fill areas with one color.
                      Click with the left mouse to fill an area with the foreground color.
                      Click with the right mouse to fill an area with the background color.

Most JPG images will have slightly different colours within what looks like an area of uniform colour. Clicking a few times with the flood-fill tool will give a result like the attached image at best. At worst, you will get just small dots and blotches of colours. Zoom in with high magnification on an area of bright blue sky from a photograph, and you can see the different coloured pixels adjacent to each other.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.10.2007, 09:37 PM.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Pasha - If you click on the question mark icon on the Paint toolbar, you will get tooltips (written by Bhikkhu Pesala ) with information about the different tools.

Flood fill must have perfectly uniform pixel color to work. Therefore it is not much good in a JPG. It is great for changing your mind about the color of a line or shape drawn with IP.

You should play with good old MSPaint, Windows' hidden free treasure, to learn about simple paint tools. If you need more advanced selection ability, try some other freebies available on the Web:
                        PaintStar - priceless, fast and light, with layers and everything
                        The GIMP - the big guns, Photoshop without the big price tag
                        Its: Belongs to "It"
                        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                        ---------------------
                        Lose: Fail to keep
                        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

No tolerance indeed in the flood fill, so it searches for adjacent pixels with the same color from the click-position.
                          I don't think a graphic format makes the difference, it's more the property of the image.
                          If it's a photo, flood fill becomes difficult, but if it's a scan of a document, it may be another situation.
                          So a workaround could be to first decrease the number of colors used as much as possible without distortion, and then try the flood fill.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

No, the format itself doesn't make the difference, but while a BMP, PNG or GIF may have areas of pure color, a JPG never will. Which is what I meant, but stated unclearly. Since most photos are JPG's - no flood.
                            Its: Belongs to "It"
                            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                            ---------------------
                            Lose: Fail to keep
                            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi,

just draw a rectangle and then you could fill it ...

But i does not work on my jpg pictures ...

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X