This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom Bug

This Bug is Known, and I hope it will be fixed soon. Don't bother reporting this or any related problems on the new proportional Zoom. It is broken, and needs fixing. I think Irfan knows about it already.

Set the Zoom percentage in Properties, Viewing to anything less than 10%

Zoom out to minimum possible.

Try to zoom in again. You cannot.

Another related bug? Poor Design?

Set the Zoom percentage to 100%

Zoom in a bit.

Try to zoom out. You cannot.

Some further thought is required on this new proportional zoom algorithm. Good in principle — bad in practice.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.01.2008, 03:50 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Indeed v4.10 can't zoom.

I have set the zoom step to 25% for ages. When I press "-" and "+", IrfanView does not follow this set value at all. Also frequently after zooming a part of the picture is cut off on sides, so that it cannot be scrolled to.

It makes this version UNUSABLE. I regret that I completely replaced 4.00 with this, just to stay in loop here at the discussion boards.

I've tried to reset configuration by deleting the ini, but no improvement.

What is the new proportional zoom BTW?
    Last edited by j7n; 17.10.2007, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Hi,

confirmed.

Will be forwarded to Irfan as well.

Listed here

steve

Comment

What is the new proportional zoom BTW?
        With the default zoom percentage of 10%

Start at 100% zoom in to 110%
        Zoom in again zooms to 121% (Previously it would have zoomed to 120%)
        Zoom in again zooms to 133% (Previously it would have zoomed to 130%)
        Zoom in again zooms to 146% (Previously it would have zoomed to 140%)
        Zoom in again zooms to 161% (Previously it would have zoomed to 150%)
        Zoom in again zooms to 177% (Previously it would have zoomed to 160%)
        Zoom in again zooms to 195% (Previously it would have zoomed to 170%)
        Zoom out then zooms to 175%
        Zoom out again zooms to 157%
        Zoom out again zooms to 141%
        Zoom out again zooms to 127%
        Zoom out again zooms to 114%
        Zoom out again zooms to 103%
        Zoom out again zooms to 93%

The benefit is that it takes fewer keystrokes to zoom in/out for a given setting. It allso gives smaller steps at the lower end of the scale and bigger steps at the upper end of the scale. When zooming large images at 20% zoom, zoom out will zoom to 18%, not 10%, which is much more useful. With icons zoomed to 500%, zooming in will zoom to 550% instead of only 510%. The idea is sound, but not implemented quite as well as it might have been, and there are some bugs.

However, set your zoom to 100% or more (500% is possible) and see what happens. At the other extreme, set it to 1% and see what happens.

Somehow I have an idea that this new feature is going to create an aweful lot of hot air. A simple zoom slider like Serif DrawPlus would have been much better. Drag it to the left to zoom out to 2% — drag it to the right to zoom in to 5,000% Very smooth and easy to use. The buttons zoom in and out, also by proportional amounts, so zooming in then out does not bring you back to 100% just like in Irfan View. However, the slider control has a convenient snapping point at 100% and there is also a zoom popup list with a sensible range of fixed percentages:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.10.2007, 06:01 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I say that this proportional zoom is unusable. Sorry to disapoint you or the Irfan himself. Can I turn it off?

Zoom without resampling looks awful in non-integral ratios. And it sucks that you can't return to 100% without reloading.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
            I say that this proportional zoom is unusable. Sorry to disapoint you or the Irfan himself. Can I turn it off?

Zoom without resampling looks awful in non-integral ratios. And it sucks that you can't return to 100% without reloading.
            No. You cannot turn it off. No you don't disappoint me. I am sure Irfan will fix the bugs sometime. It doesn't suck because you can return to 100% just by pressing Control + H or the F key. Does that reload the image? I don't think so because it doesn't remove any editing I did. I didn't notice any problem with the image looking aweful. Sometimes it helps to be shortsighted.

Anyway, I hope that Irfan will improve it.

Comment

I had forgotten about the Return to Original Size fuction. Thank you for reminding me.

In order to work efficiently with as program or a device you have to approximate its reply to your commands before you got the actual reply. For example, you already know how far to move the mouse on the mousepad for the pointer to reposition from the center of the screen to, let's say, the taskbar. Now, if somebody suddenly changes mouse acceleration or speed multiplier you can't comfortably work with it until you get accustomed. The same goes for the "+"/"-" buttons in graphics editor.

CorelDraw 9 also has an odd acceleration for the zoom function that gives me a hard time. After scrolling the wheel in one direction (zooming out), I expect to rotate the wheel in the other direction the same number of revolutions in order to return to the original zoom level. But instead the wheel is now 'accelerated' and the zoom quickly goes out of bounds.

Sorry for causing so much hot air. Reverted to 4.00.

Whether you see effects from point resampling or not, can you confirm that...
              Originally posted by me
              frequently after zooming a part of the picture is cut off on sides, so that it cannot be scrolled to.
              Take an image larger than the screen. Now zoom in and out a bit and stay somewhere at 70%. Try to scroll to both sides of the picture. You cannot.

Comment

Ack. It is cut off badly on the right. Well, we have our Bug of the Day now. It is a good thing that the image is not reloaded on any display changes!

I have one extra problem, reading the numbers in the status bar. I have to use large fonts, so I can't see all of them, and the percent sign is mostly invisible.

But as for zooming at 100%, I would not expect to be able to zoom out - the picture would have to disappear.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                  But as for zooming at 100%, I would not expect to be able to zoom out - the picture would have to disappear.
                  If the zoom step is 100% or more I would expect that there would be a minimum value used for zooming out, say 1%, or I would expect it to zoom to the minimum permitted by Irfan View, which seems to be 5% of the original.

I have the same problem with the status line as I also use large fonts. I don't know why we really need to know the zoom percentage, but if the information is there, it is irritating not being able to read it.

Comment

Yes, it would make sense to have it zoom to the minimum possible. But it would rather sit there and pout (LOL)

It is nice to know the zoom factor, but I'd like to know what I'm really missing in the status display! Bits per pixel is way out of sight Good thing one can just poke the I key in the eye and see (am I having a bad joke day?)
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi,

bugs has been confirmed by Irfan; patch will follow.

steve

Comment

I'm waiting

Comment

No doubt the patch will be released zoon.

Comment

Another Zoom Bug!!!

This one is tricky, I have just got it while zooming in with + and scrolling with PgUp/PgDn and Home/End. Steps:

1) Load any image that can fill IV's window when zoomed (scroll bars must appear when and ONLY when zoom > 100%).
                            2) Zoom in until the scroll bars show up (vertical, horizontal or both).
                            3) Scroll up by pressing PgUp if the vertical scroll bar is showing or End if the horizontal scroll bar is showing.
                            * Note: this only "works" in windowed mode, not in full screen.

The bug appears when the scroller is already at the top or right limits of the bars. When pressing PgUp or End, IV tries to move toward a direction it cannot go, so it stretches the image instead! For the vertical scroll, pressing PgUp will make the image stretched vertically; for the horizontal scroll, pressing End will make the image stretched horizontally. It's something like this:

Code:
                            Original         Zoomed In
                            +------+         +------+
                            |      |         |      |
                            |      |         |      |
                            +------+         |      |
                                             |      |
                                             +------+
                            This bug is surely related to the zoom problem (defective zoom function), but it may be in a different line of the code and may go unnoticed...

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post

Well, I started a thread about this in the features forum (I should learn to read a bit before posting...). Agree with you here...

Comment

Working...
                              X