Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested add the "save to file" checkbox

hi!

in other programs, the print dialog contains a print to file checkbox.

in IV, this dialog pops-up when one click on the choose printer button of the print dialog but without the print to file checkbox

from the top of my head, this feature seems to be a windows' feature. would it be possible to add/restore it in IV ?

TIA,
    Pierre.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PBru; 17.10.2007, 07:32 PM. Reason: changed from "save to file" to "print to file" for the checkbox name

The "Print to file" feature is really specific to different programs. MS Office things produce a *.prn file, which I suppose can then be sent to a printer, since it isn't good to eat. Other programs either have it or they do not, depending on what formats they are capable of outputting. With the many formats IrfanView can handle, it would be pretty much the same as "Save as," so....
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

the print to file option always create a .prn file which contains whatever would have been sent to the printer: PS, PCL, printer specific data.

it is really a save-instead-of-print feature so you can do whatever you are interested in (study, check, debug, archive, etc.) with what would have been sent to the printer.

after checking multiple programs, I found that this checkbox seems to be present in the standard print... dialog but not in the standard printer setup dialog. that's why programs which want to offer complex print dialogs (read: with multiple options) use 2 different dialog boxes: a custom print setup... dialog to setup whatever option they want (center, zoom, crop marks, etc.) and then the standart print... dialog to perform the print.

Pierre

Comment

Okay, I do see the point. Never looked into it much before. Academic interest is a good reason, if nothing else. And I can see where it would help with some pernickety print problems. Would be a good idea to have it.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
        X