Resize/Resample Presets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Resize/Resample Presets

Something i thought would be handy is to have presets for resizing because I have a bunch of different things that require certain sizes, like whenever I make an MSN avatar they're always 96x96 or something for a project that always needs 162x204. Just something like a dropdown button in the resizing menu or even on the toolbar that'd be super fast. Thanks!

Hmm, yes, a couple of custom presets for small sizes could be very handy.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I mean a button to save your own sizes which you use a lot could be good.

Comment

It's a good idea. This function could replace the radio buttons of desktop resolutions. These could be delivered as 'system' presets in the future. "Half" and "Double" are not really useful shortcuts as it's not too hard to type the percentage on keypad.

Comment

I think adding one checkbox with two custom pixel sizes, which will be maintained until otherwise, would be nice.

But, j7n, I don't want to loose the different desktop resolutions, and to me, e.g. the "Half" button is very useful in the proces to resize a picture from very big to quite small, when I do this resizing in steps to keep better quality.
          Resizing is not only about the desktop dimensions, it's also used for adaption to a website page for example.

But in fact the dialog is there already. One can enter values at "Set new size" (or "Set new size as percentage..").
          These values are now re-adjusted to the size of the present opened bitmap every time. Keeping the previous value setting when opening a new bitmap would solve this problem. And of course including the percentage section.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I won't argue about this. It's not that important. In fact there aren't that many controls (three) to make use of preset system.

I guess I got used to Sonic Foundry Sound Forge where there are presets even for processes with just one parameter.

Comment

"Half" button is one of the best things in irfanview for me.

it's useful when scanning pages and them cutting their res. by half for a better and clearer scan.

Comment

I've always used the percentage box for this purpose (50%, 25%, 33%).

Comment

As long as several approaches to the same formula are possible it's fine by me.
                  Mouse or key, it's a matter of programming the personal script to perform a routine.

Checking, I noticed some possible thing for a request in this section.
                  Clicking Half or Double changes the dialog top left with Current Size and New size.
                  But it is not transferred to the sections Set new size and Set new size as percentage.

Some elements of this dialog are saved, like the checkbox of aspect ratio, but others not.
                  It would be nice, if the dialog is opened again with e.g. still the percentage checkbox active.
                  Reproducing the previous value there would add an extra elegancy of course.
                  This is the step between the system default and a list of defined presets. To be able to use the latest status again.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    Clicking Half or Double changes the dialog top left with Current Size and New size. But it is not transferred to the sections Set new size and Set new size as percentage.
                    It should not be transferred, either.

• What should happen is that the percentage field should remember its last used value, but it always reverts to 100% and nobody needs to resize an image to 100%. This should be a droplist with presets and a field that allows the user to type any value, which is remembered.
                    • The set new size field should also remember its value. Set new size does not remember the last used value, but always defaults to the current image size. No one ever needs to resize an image to its current size.
                    • Half and double are useful too — I also use them frequently, but they should be independent of percentage and set new size.

Another point is that the dialogue has no associated help topic, and resample does not say anything about the different filters.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You've convinced me. The transfer of the Half and Double dialog value is quite a trivial issue.
                      But the idea was only meant, in a one-way direction, to set the field values with a single click.
                      But if it's indeed possible to keep the latest value in both the field dialogs the next time, such transfer from Half would disturb this, if it's automatic.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

One-button PDA transfer

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                        I think adding one checkbox with two custom pixel sizes, which will be maintained until otherwise, would be nice.
                        [...]
                        But in fact the dialog is there already. One can enter values at "Set new size" (or "Set new size as percentage..").
                        These values are now re-adjusted to the size of the present opened bitmap every time. Keeping the previous value setting when opening a new bitmap would solve this problem. And of course including the percentage section.
                        There is a small problem with this: if you have pictures both in landscape and in portrait orientation, then you'll end up with one or the other with large black stripes on the side - or, when using different size input material, you end up not preserving the original scaling. A PDA is quickly turned over to look at the one or the other orientation, unlike an actual monitor.

Here's what I do now to get pictures on my PDA:
                        - See a picture I want to have on the PDA.
                        - Open the Resize dialog (Ctrl-R).
                        - Figure out whether it should be 240x320 or 320x240.
                        - Type in 240 where I think it should be.
                        - Check that the other value is not above 320.
                        - If the other value is above 320, I fix this to 320.
                        - Now I have a picture which has one side being either 320 or 240 (rarely both), and the other side is less than 240 or less than 320.
                        - Optional step by eye (cannot be automated): Sharpen (especially useful if there is text on the picture).
                        - Save As... with the usual presets to my PDA synchronisation directory.

With this chain of events, I have a picture filling my whole display (at least in one direction) after the next sync.

How could this be done:
                        - Have an extra tab on the options field with sync directory and screen dimensions (320x240 is quite common, VGA as well, but there is a multitude of possibilities, especially when taking phones into account as well).
                        - If you're really generous, there would be all the options I encounter in the chain of events as described above (choice of filter, Preserve aspect ratio, Apply sharpen after Resample, and Save As: Format, JPEG quality, Save as progressive JPG etc).
                        - Have a button looking like a PDA to do the whole thing in one go.

I know it's not very easy, but it would be a step ahead of the competition!

Thanks for a wonderful program,
                        GreGie

Comment

Working...
                        X