Resource Hacker - Modifying Executables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resource Hacker - Modifying Executables

I sometimes use this to modify menus and shortcuts in my favourite applications. It won't work on Irfan View, which uses a compressed executable, but it is easy enough to use on other applications.

Don't expect support if your software stops working after you hack the executable.

Some Examples of how to use Resource Hacker.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

It does work on executables if you decompress them first. However, the executable in question must not employ protection against tampering with it. I've done editing on IV pre-4.00 files.

Previously IV used stupid Aspack, which could be decompressed using Caspr. Now AFAIK IrfanView is compressed by UPX, which can be unpacked using matching version of UPX itself.

If the CRC protection of the executable is simple (one or two JMPs) one can deprotect it without expert knowledge in programming. There is a ready tutorial on the Internet about how to deprotect NERO.EXE version 6 with the goal to remove unused pictures from the bloated executable.

Comment

Yep, a very nice tool. And a very informative page about it, as usual.
      I did some editing on IV pre-4.00 files too, as experiment to change the order of the icons.
      Previously IV used stupid Aspack, which could be decompressed using Caspr.
      Quite odd indeed, two different apps for it.
      Resource Hacker also handles DLLs btw.
      Last edited by Sam_Zen; 21.10.2007, 01:36 AM.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I guess Aspack/Asprotect was not meant to be decompressed at all, that's where other tools come in.

Comment

Working...
        X