Additional Thumbnail Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Additional Thumbnail Feature

Irfanview would be more useful to me if I could print contact sheets with the thumbnails in any arbitrary order. To do so, you would only need to incorporate two things: 1) Allow me to drag thumbnails to new locations in the thumbnail display page and, 2) Provide an option for me to write a TXT file of slide names in the order I have placed the thumbnails. The "write a TXT file" capability already exists in the slideshow function and could be borrowed from there and the thumbnail function already allows me to read a TXT file and display thumbnails in the order they appear there.

I'm aware that I can already accomplish the above by creating the TXT file in slideshow view but that is a cumbersome and unintuitive process since slideshow view doesn't allow me to see the pictures I'm arranging.

Because I can see the pictures I'm arranging in thumbnail view, I think the feature I've suggested could also be used to more easily and intuitively create slide show control TXT files.

Thanks for an otherwise good program.

For a different reason, but I too would like to be able to compose Slideshow lists from the Thumbnail browser more readily. At present you can do it by right clicking each thumbnail in turn and selecting "Append selected files to Current Slideshow" but that is laborious. There is no keyboard shortcut (as far as I know). The F4 key is accepted from the Thumbnails window but appends the image selected in the main IV window not the one highlighted in Thumbnails.
    It would also be nice if you could show as thumbnails the files currently listed in the slideshow dialog without having to first save them to a text file.

Comment

You can select multiple thumbs and add them as a group, just hold down Control while selecting. This should have gone in a new thread, really.

As for the dragging into order - that would take major changes in the thumb viewer. It does not display things as if in a fancified web page, as Windows Explorer and various album creation programs do. I think we are better off keeping it simple and streamlined.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
        You can select multiple thumbs and add them as a group, just hold down Control while selecting. This should have gone in a new thread, really.

As for the dragging into order - that would take major changes in the thumb viewer.
        Hi Matera
        I agree with you that we are unlikely ever to see drag and drop features to re-arrange the order of the thumbnails. That's why I wanted to explore the interesting method that the OP mentioned of using thumbnails in conjunction with the slideshow dialog and a text file to do it. I agree with the OP this is pretty cumbersome at present. Adding multiple thumbs as a group by holding down Control is not helpful because the files are added to the slideshow list in the order they are displayed not in the order they are selected. So you still have to re-arrange them again in the list.

Comment

Working...
        X