Browsing RAR/ZIP archives with Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded Browsing RAR/ZIP archives with Irfanview

I don't know if it is possible with Irfanview (i tried the "open with" option but it didn't work), and i was thinking how awesome if irfan can do that.

in other words, i want to get rid of CDisplay: (http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay.html) and i want Irfan to have it's features lol.

no offense to CDisplay makers/users (it's a lovely program).

note: this is for browsing image files inside zip/rar archives, that's what CDisplay does.
    Last edited by McDragon; 22.10.2007, 12:40 AM.

Hmm.. Not one of my priorities, but it would be nice.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

So, let me re-phrase. You want IrfanView to also be a decompressing tool?

How about a test file editor? and a movie maker? and a CD/DVD burning tool? and how about a coffee maker? and a toaster and microwave oven too!

All that is facetiously said, of course. I'll not see the need for adding decompressing to a graphics viewer. Once that were incorporated then someone else will want the other side, to be able to compress a group of images into a Zip.

I vote: No!
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

All things considered, I would much rather have compression than e-mail or FTP. But it is all a matter of what one person does more or less than another.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I never noticed that IrfanView can comunicate through FTP and email. These things really don't fit in an image viewer. As well as the audio and video playback btw. This email thingy was built into several unrelated programs before, but all it did was call some MS Windows function.

However Zip format is very useful for grouping images that belong to a single set. I use zip to [1] free up the filesystem from excessive file entries, [2] increase the speed at which the whole set is transferred to/from high latency mediums (Internet, DVD), [3] increase reliability/efficiency of sharing an entire image set on P2P systems.

Compression should not be employed in Zip sets, because special graphics compression is more efficient (talking PNG) and if the Zip is ever unpacked files don't take up enourmous space. IV should better support deflate though, as there may be users who don't understand archives without compression.

RAR is worse format for this purpose because the entire archive would have to be read for getting the list of packed files. Zip on the other hand has the table of files stored in a single block.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
            Compression should not be employed in Zip sets, because special graphics compression is more efficient (talking PNG)
            PNG is using ZIP w/ predictors ;-)
            ZIP is widely used in lossless graphics compression.
            I expect that Irfanview carries around four times the zlib library in the program itself and the plugins...

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
              How about a test file editor? and a movie maker? and a CD/DVD burning tool? and how about a coffee maker? and a toaster and microwave oven too!
              That would rock lol.

and no, i don't want Irfanview to do everything by it's own.

think something like the plugins (video/audio playback).

it's a neat feature but not everyone 1st priority in an image viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                All things considered, I would much rather have compression than e-mail or FTP. But it is all a matter of what one person does more or less than another.
                I find the send image by FTP feature extremely useful. Whenever I want to illustrate something in a forum, just grab a screenshot, and upload it from the Thumbnail viewer. No need to open FTP commander. I want the same option in my browser (Opera).

I wonder if enabling Compressed file support in Windows would allow Irfan View to browse through ZIP folders? I don't have time to find out at the moment.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

I'm doing things the other way around. With winrar you have an explorer like interface which lets you step-in/step-out archives. If I want to see an image I just double-click to bring up the my default image viewer (e.g. IrfanView).
                  This request is like the old Word and Excell problem. People want to do Excell things in Word and Word things in Excell.

Comment

Yeah, you could doubleclick in WinRar, as well as you could in Total Commander. But the Previous File / Next File buttons would not be functional. These buttons are essential for viewing an entire set of images.

I suppose WinXP 'zipfolders' don't act any differently.

PNG is using ZIP w/ predictors ;-)
                    Thank you for saying it in proper English. Default predictor gives around 35% better compression ratio for photographic images.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                      Yeah, you could doubleclick in WinRar, as well as you could in Total Commander. But the Previous File / Next File buttons would not be functional. These buttons are essential for viewing an entire set of images.
                      Exactly, i wouldn't have asked for this if i could scroll up and down in a ZIP/RAR archive.

besides folks, it's not like i am demanding it now or in the next version, just a suggestion, whether it is supported or not doesn't matter.

just a thought you know.

and sorry if i said anything wrong or if i sounded selfish and rude.
                      Last edited by McDragon; 22.10.2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I agree, zip/rar support would be useful to me too. After discovering CDisplay I started zipping folders of images into single files for easier organization and storage. Unfortunately CDisplay has hit on a great concept but offers very limited features, irfanview already has all those features, it simply can't open a zipped collection.

One of my favorite reasons for changing from folders to the zip/rar//cbz/cbr system was the XP thumbnail feature added by installing CDisplayEX. Once the EX version of CDisplay is installed, the first image in your cbr/cbz set becomes the Explorer thumbnail image. The first image works like a book cover and it makes locating collections by sight extremely easy. This is much better for indexing than the four little tiny images XP uses to thumbnail folders. XP and Vista also open a single folder with 100 thumbnailed cbr/z files MUCH faster than opening 100 subfolders with 50 files each.. There's no rebuilding of the folder thumbnails.

Comment

Originally posted by McDragon View Post
                          besides folks, it's not like i am demanding it now or in the next version, just a suggestion, whether it is supported or not doesn't matter.

just a thought you know.

and sorry if i said anything wrong or if i sounded selfish and rude.
                          Well I didn't want to imply that this was a rude or selfish. The browsing idea makes sense. However, should this work like browse folder dialog? If IrfanView encounters a zip file it should prompt if you want to browse into it or is this a preference? Personally, I would like to see a prompt as not every zip file I have contains images.

Comment

You simply don't open those other Zip files in IrfanView.

Comment

But that is what s/he wants, to simply open Zip files in IrfanView.

NOT ME, ... I am only the messenger.
                              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
                              X